Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bloat information

Hello! Can pups fall victim to bloat? I worry every time Sophie wants to play hard after eating or eats too fast! Need to read up and discuss at next wellness visit!
    Thanks! Sophie's mom

Not the best on puppy information.

Mardi and Archie are kept quiet for about an hour after eating. It's become a routine. They lay around while I'm doing dishes, puttering around inside the house. The time goes fast and then with good weather we head outside. I really don't think about it, it's just our routine and does keep them quiet for an appropriate amount of time.

I do the same. Let them go out and potty but no ChuckIt on a full tummy.

The Dynamic Gang

Senior Dog

Ok.. now last night or early am around 4, she began to vomit, but just some liquid came up... she had to go out so fast to poop.... and it was a normal one.. she came back in.. then back out to pee and another round of poop.. normal again. I made the mistake of walking her after she ate last night. Never again. Now.. she vomited in the middle of the night on Tues night.. and found pieces of that green minta bone in it. Also she has had those raw organic beef bones. AND she is happy and playful... sooo... no more walking after eating or playing. She is so excited to play hard in the evening. It is cooler at that time. I feel guilty... Sophie's mom

I've never heard of bloat in puppies.

When bloated dogs try to vomit but can't, they are restless. Hence, I see no symptoms of bloat in your pup. Most likely just an upset tummy.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Hopefully just an upset tummy, but did read this regarding bloat and pups. Better safe than sorry I say.

Bloat In Puppies - Gastric Dilation Volvulus

KAZ

Like the others, I don't let mine outside to play after a meal until an hour or more has passed. The risk supposedly increases with age. Normal speed walking on a leash after a meal shouldn't be a problem, as best I can tell. If you're concerned that your pup is eating too rapidly, there are a number of techniques that can be used to slow her down, including:

Feeding all or part of his meal in a food/treat dispensing ball, my dogs love the activity and bring me their treat balls at meal time. There are many types, such as Omega Paw Tricky Treat Ball Dog Toy or KONG Wobbler Dog Toy

Spreading the food out on a rimmed cookie sheet

Using a bowl designed to slow eating such as, Dog Games Flower Slo-Bowl Interactive Dog Feeder or JW Pet Skid Stop Slow Feed Bowl

Putting a large object in the food bowl that they have to eat around- here's one you can buy but a large ball or other large-ish item will work Omega Paw Stainless Steel Portion Pacer

Most of these items, or similar can be purchased at local food stores, too. I was just showing some examples.

Here are a couple of articles including info on bloat/gdv prevention:

How to Feed Dogs at Risk for GDV | petMD

Canine Bloat (GDV) - Animal Emergency Hospital 410-420-7297 (PAWS)

Does she get a small snack just before bedtime? Sometimes they will throw up a little bile or clear liquid because an empty stomach can make them a little barfy and a bedtime snack can help that. Also, the middle of the night is when my dogs tend to vomit up anything that didn't agree with them or that doesn't want to go through, such as sticks, cardboard, pieces of anything that isn't digesting, and those minta bones or anything she doesn't chew well enough might re-appear.

There's always something to worry about with these guys, isn't there?
    Last edited by smartrock; 06-06-2014 at 07:52 AM.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

ZRabbits (06-06-2014)

Yes.. I ALWAYS worry.... My husband feels since she pooped so much and quickly... I noticed she was restless in her crate... maybe she was having tummy pains? I worry about her and my Maine Coons..Sophie's mom.. will look into the bowls

I agree, nothing you posted sounds like bloat. Could have been her belly got too empty or a mild virus. It is always a worry with these guys, enough to make you crazy! Sending good thoughts.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos