Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why do we have so many deer?

Does anyone have a feel for why deer populations suddenly rise? We haven't seen many for years but now they are everywhere. I think that someone has been taking out the coyotes (we don't even hear them anymore) but I didn't think that they took down that many deer. Any ideas?

Could be several factors. Depending where you are they may have depleted due to blue tongue and be making a comeback. This can happen when populations get too high. The disease spreads badly and several deer die off. Then when the populations thin out the disease becomes less prominent and they make a comeback. Also, if the environment (right temperatures, plenty of water and good food crops) is particularly good for healthy deer herds then the breeding could be more successful at the same time thus making the comeback even stronger.
    Shiloh 12/24/12
    Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carlos For This Useful Post:

janedoe (06-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Could be several factors. Depending where you are they may have depleted due to blue tongue and be making a comeback. This can happen when populations get too high. The disease spreads badly and several deer die off. Then when the populations thin out the disease becomes less prominent and they make a comeback. Also, if the environment (right temperatures, plenty of water and good food crops) is particularly good for healthy deer herds then the breeding could be more successful at the same time thus making the comeback even stronger.
    I hadn't thought of disease. That makes sense.

Senior Dog
    Or it could be that housing development/any construction nearby is forcing them from another area into yours.
    Last edited by SunDance; 06-06-2014 at 05:28 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

janedoe (06-06-2014), Snowshoe (06-06-2014), ZRabbits (06-06-2014)

In the early 1900's there were 500,000 deer in the U.S. Today there are over 30 million. Lack of predators---mountain lions, wolves and restricted hunting have helped increase populations. Also, the deer are very good at reproducing. A doe will mature at age 2 to 3 and will typically have twins each year for the next 10 years. The expanding neighborhoods have actually helped deer increase. The clearing of the land causes different plant growth that is more suitable to deer. Instead of foraging on plants under the mature forest , they have huge lawns, shrubs and immature trees to eat. Some residential areas report as many as 200 deer per square mile, which is 3 times what a forest will support. Also, there is more restriction on hunting. As neighborhoods expand the land available for hunting decreases. And more people are not allowing hunting on their land. I know this is true on the mountain where we have 10 acres. We don't allow hunting on our 10 acres for several reasons. Most of the hunters want to sit at the pond and wait for the deer to come by for their daily drink. That seems kind of like shooting fish in a barrel to me. And the safety issue of us being there and hunters coming by is another consideration. The 140 acres around us used to be open to hunting, but has changed owners. The new owners have not built on it, but have posted no hunting signs. Their concerns are some idiot hunting on the land, getting hurt with lawsuits following. As more people buy small plots of land on the mountain, more land has been restricted to no hunting. The only public hunting lands on the mountain has no roads and is on the steep, upper levels.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Indigo For This Useful Post:

janedoe (06-06-2014)

Senior Dog
    Amazing, here in New Jersey, they are looking into birth control for deers. Instead of letting hunters do what they do best. Keep the population down and also fill their freezers.

I just don't get the mentality on this.

KAZ

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ZRabbits For This Useful Post:

janedoe (06-06-2014)

House Broken
    Birth control for deer? AMAZING!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CatNSadie For This Useful Post:

janedoe (06-06-2014)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    Amazing, here in New Jersey, they are looking into birth control for deers. Instead of letting hunters do what they do best. Keep the population down and also fill their freezers.

I just don't get the mentality on this.

KAZ
    I am with you. Hunting, if done properly, is best method. People get food, population is maintained, and people spend time outside. Plus hunting cost money (licenses for example) so there is a way to increase state revenue that only cost the people who take advantage instead of taxing everyone. That money also goes to public parks, etc.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to fan of fanboys For This Useful Post:

janedoe (06-06-2014)

Hunting season here, for anything, is determined by population counts of tags and ears handed in, depending on what the critter is. By the time legislation to allow an increase or decrease in numbers harvested is passed we've had a very hard winter, or a very easy one, and the numbers are out of date before they come into effect. But I know, what else can we do? Right now most fish and wildlife people, hunters too, are wondering how counts of turkey and deer will go this year, after a very hard winter.

LOL, there was a big meeting here many years ago about coyote control. Birth control was suggested. Some farmer got up and sputtered, "Heck, they want to eat my lambs, not sc4ew them."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

janedoe (06-06-2014)

They came for the cakes. Can't say I blame them.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

janedoe (06-06-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos