Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canine Good Citizen Test: Questions

I think we're kinda getting close to being able to qualify, but I have a few worries.

1. Accepting a friendly stranger: Examiner approaches and engages in conversation with the handler. I am not so worried about this one. We're doing it in classes and she seems to be very chill with it.

2. Sitting politely for petting: The examiner pets the dog on the head and body. Dog cannot show "shyness or resentment". Dude... NOT a problem. A lab? Are you kidding? My only concern is that she will wiggle and creep, and if the examiner really bends over her and gives her a lot of high pitched baby talk... she will eventually get up on her hind legs and try to lick the examiner's face. Is this a likely thing to happen? Would it disqualify her? She will sit for a bit, but man... keep it up for more than about 20 seconds or so, and I'm not so sure.

3. Appearance and grooming: I'm not worried. She'll let an examiner comb her, brush her, style her... paint her nails...

4. Loose leash walking: We're aces on this one.

5. Walking through a crowd: Again... we're aces. Unless folks in the crowd are eating donuts and spilling crumbs.

6. Sit/down on command and staying in place: Aces. No sweat.

7. Coming when called: NOT a problem. Don't get between me and the dog, she'll bowl you over.

8. Reaction to another dog: Uh, could be a problem. We are doing this in class and she's doing well with it, but she knows these dogs. In the test, am I allowed to cue her? SIT. STAY. NO-BIRD (our variation of "leave it".) Prior to testing, will we be around other dogs waiting to test? Because that would be a good thing. I think she would be less reactive if she thought... "oh, boring... we're just taking another class."

9. Reaction to distraction: Pffftt! Not an issue. Shoot a gun, drop a chair... just don't blow a duck call.

10. Supervised separation: Not going to be a problem. She's solid.

So tell me how they test for #2 and #8. Those are the only ones I have reservations about at this point.

Can you find the actual test some where on line? Or ask your trainer?

In case our CGN is identical, #8 for us was the same as #1 but the person had a dog with them. The dog had already passed his CGN. We walked toward each other, met, dogs sat, we shook hands and said hello, then we went on our way. Because both dogs were heeling on the left when we met the dogs were separated by us.

#2 was a very brief pet on the head. Not at all like the kind of smoochie pets and full body hugs some people, kids, really want to give your dog when you meet them.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

My best advice is to take your dog to a dog park or play date to tire her out immediately before taking the test.
    A good dog is a tired dog!
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

If I remember correctly for #2 as long as they sit until the evaluator touches the dog, it's ok.

For #8 we had to walk past another handler/dog and the handlers had to greet/talk with no reaction from the dogs.

Bruce nailed both of these, Sophie barely, barely passed. He was 6 months, she was almost 3!!!

House Broken
    My best advice is relax and have fun. Be confident that your dog will do exactly as you envision, and that's likely exactly what she will do. So think positive and project calm vibes! I've done the CGC and the CGCA (advanced version), and both times the evaluators were very nice and friendly about it (but calm around my dog).
    mom to:
    Carley (Impulse Revival of Sweetrox CGCA RN)
    Hex (UKC CH Stormy C's Black Magic)
    Luci (the husky that tries to act like the labs)

You'll be fine as long as you remember to tell her No bird. Leave it. Whatever. (Leave it is my pref since it helps w the people issue too).
    PS, I used to be a CGC evaluator until ~2007 or so.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

One of my girls nailed all of the requirements, but on number 2 she sat nicely, but as the evaluator knelt down to pet her, my girl happily licked her face and one of her huge hoop earring came out. I thought it was cute and sweet, and showed great temperament, but the evaluator didn't pass us. I tested her elsewhere later and she passed with flying colors.

I think if you're testing a 12 pound lap dog, you can/ought to get down closer to the dog's level and pat her/him. But, whoa! Watch out. If you're not nimble, don't stoop down and get in RD's face because she's going to assume it's an invitation for her to get in your lap. You'll be on your keester so fast it will make your head spin.

But I'm not a tester-type person. So... I don't know how the AKC directs its examiners.

The examiners are all very different. Some are laid back, some are very formal, some are silly, some are serious... So, like what happened to someone who posted, some things get a pass from one person but not the next.

Bandit did his in a very informal setting. The local AC was having an event and had a CGC evaluator there. This was outside, tons of other dogs around, beside a small lake, squirrels everywhere. I thought what the heck, Bandit was mature, deaf and a sweetheart. Meeting a stranger was no problem, was more afraid he was going to roll over for a belly rub. Meeting another dog he did very well also; little terrier who was very laid back himself. I was afraid of the walking around obstacles because a lot of them were stuffies, Bandit's favorite thing. He did super but I can see all sorts of challenges for a younger dog.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos