Dog Car Crate Testing -- Further Reading

This topic of car crates comes up every so often, so I thought I'd put some links here to worthwhile reading (in my opinion) on the matter. The follow-up articles on the Subaru/Center for Pet Safety crash testing in particular were new to me. I travel at distance frequently with my dogs, so car safety is something I think about a lot.

2015 Center For Pet Safety Crate Test Results

Travel crate recommendations from Is My Pet Safe

Is My Pet Safe website follow-up with manufacturers cited in Center For Pet Safety testing

Is My Pet Safe website travel crate report (this is a long read at 27 pages, but the author gives some great detail and context that fleshes out his blog posts on the travel crate research he did)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (12-16-2015), Dallas dawg (12-13-2015), kerplunk105 (12-16-2015), Scoutpout (12-15-2015)

Thanks for posting this. Good info.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

dxboon (12-13-2015)

House Broken
    Thanks for sharing. My friend needs something like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to capra For This Useful Post:

dxboon (12-16-2015)

I think we're going to go for a MIM, but I am having trouble figuring out which one to get for the back of our (older) Toyota Rav.

I have to do a longish trip w/ her soon, just in a regular crate—we don't have time to get the MIM. I'm nervous, but trying not to be.

But thanks. I do think the MIM looks best.
    Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Abulafia For This Useful Post:

dxboon (12-16-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Abulafia View Post
    I think we're going to go for a MIM, but I am having trouble figuring out which one to get for the back of our (older) Toyota Rav.

I have to do a longish trip w/ her soon, just in a regular crate—we don't have time to get the MIM. I'm nervous, but trying not to be.

But thanks. I do think the MIM looks best.
    You might look at the MIM website. There is a section that outlines car models and details if they've tested crate sizes in those models. You could also try contacting one of their distributors like Mighty Mite Dog Gear to see if anyone has indicated which model they bought for your car. I have the Double XXL in my car, which is a 2012 Ford Explorer. Both my large males ride comfortably within (I don't use the divider that comes with the crate, because my dogs travel fine together). Below is a picture of my setup -- double xxl variocage, rollmat bumper protector (inside the rear of my car I have one of those custom canvasback interior protectors), and petloader xl 4-step folding pet stairs.

-fullsizerender-jpg

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos