Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Human Diet Help

Human Diet Help

Don't know yet where this pancreatitis is going but for now I need to be on a low to no fat diet. After searching the web, looks like there are a lot of restrictions. What to eat?

Anyone have suggestions of guidelines, books, etc.

I have to wait 2 weeks to see the GI doc and will get more information from her but for now I'm starving!
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

lots of fruits and veggies for sure! When Jake's grandpa came home from his open heart surgery he was on a similar diet, except with low to no sodium too! Extra Lean ground turkey, chicken breast, fish (obviously not a fatty fish like salmon). We are all just so glad that you are doing better!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (12-14-2015)

What about Oatmeal for breakfast.

One of the things I found recently is this Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats - Rachel Cooks

They are actually quite good, a bowl full of that and a banana, I do add a little brown sugar and I am stuffed for the morning.

The first time I made it, it was going over night. Hemi woke me up at 5 a.m. like dad, dad, dad, come on I am like wow he has to potty really bad. I jumped out of bed threw on sweats and opened the door and he bolted. I am running right behind to get to the back door and where do I find him. In the kitchen doing air licks. Yeah, thats all he wanted up for. Something smelled rally good in the kitchen.

Second time I made it I fell asleep with the bedroom door open. No big deal Hemi has never ever left the bedroom at night. 4 a.m. I wake up and have to go to the bathroom, no Hemi. He is out there in the kitchen drooling I think dreaming of pumpkin pie.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (12-14-2015)

I imagine a pancreatitis diet is one that is high in carbs and protein. Good thoughts to you Fran, I know that won't be easy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (12-14-2015)

fish, white meat chicken, grains, veggies, some fruit. george forman grill is a great tool! it allows you to spice the food, but you don't need to add any fats. Poaching is another way to cook, and it may make things stay a little "moister" than grilling them.

try this link
    Pancreatitis Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - Is there a specific diet for pancreatitis? - eMedicineHealth
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (12-14-2015)

When I was having gallbladder issues, before my surgery I lived on Cheerios and skim milk with a banana. No flare-ups. So, I know that works!

Egg whites - no yolk. Veggies, plain or with some sort of fat free yogurt dip. Baked potato with fat free sour cream, no butter. Fruit. Chicken breast. Ground turkey breast (make sure it's not just ground turkey - must be breast).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (12-14-2015)

Hmmmm. Here ya go, Fran. This diet ought to work.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sue For This Useful Post:

Dallas dawg (12-14-2015), POPTOP (12-14-2015), Scoutpout (12-15-2015)

Thanks all. And just last week I made mini cream cheese pies, my favorite. Rats!

So far I've been eating baked chicken breasts and salads. Going shopping tomorrow. I'm a salad lover but enough is enough. I saw recommended a lot of broccoli. All I can think of is I'm going to have a lot of gas. Watch out DH. Don't think I can blame it all on the dogs. Tonight is going to be scrambled eggs and toasted pita bread (I think that is fat free, have to check).

This is a self imposed diet until I get more info from the doctor. Do know that to help rest and heal the pancreas I need to be on a fat free diet as much as possible. One concern is the lack of protein while trying to build muscles back up after the hip surgery.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    One concern is the lack of protein while trying to build muscles back up after the hip surgery.
    In all seriousness, the best proteins are chicken (breasts) and (white fleshed) fish.

Pretty much stay away from beef, pork, and (sorry) eggs. Eggs are higher fat. Limit intake to 20 grams of fat per day.

And if you want to send me those mini cream cheese pies, I'll certainly take them off your hands.

Lots of veggies, although I'm not too sure about broccoli, because of its gaseous properties. Carbohydrates are good. Smaller, more frequent meals are also better.
    Last edited by Sue; 12-14-2015 at 06:00 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (12-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    In all seriousness, the best proteins are chicken (breasts) and (white fleshed) fish.

Pretty much stay away from beef, pork, and (sorry) eggs. Eggs are higher fat. Limit intake to 20 grams of fat per day.

And if you want to send me those mini cream cheese pies, I'll certainly take them off your hands.

Lots of veggies, although I'm not too sure about broccoli, because of its gaseous properties. Carbohydrates are good. Smaller, more frequent meals are also better.
    LOL, you're going to have to fight my daughter for them.

The broccoli has some nutrient that is supposed to help the pancreas. Can't remember what it is, still doing research.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos