Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar

New Conundrum...Finding a Dog-Friendly Home on a Budget

I'm hoping some of you can offer me some tips...for the first time ever, I'll be hunting for a new home to buy for myself and Sophie, and it looks like my budget will limit me to a town house or condo apartment. The problem with these options, of course, is that there are usually restrictions on whether pets are allowed at all, or limits to the maximum weight allowed.

Any suggestions or links to secret websites that list these types of places would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).

Thank you,
    Jen & Sophie
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

if it's not managed by a condo board, i don't see how a townhome can say anything about a dog or not. especially in Ontario.

a townhome is just a type of unit (untis in a row with no seperation).I can't imagine that most townhomes are part of a condo group. There must be some variety of townhome options that are not privatized/with a condo development.

i'm be tempted to avoid condos. one option is to go to dog parks near condos/places you want to live and talk to dog owners. see where they live (generally close enough to the park).

For townhomes - try for an end unit, you get more yard usually

Understood, but I may not be able to afford a freehold townhouse...that's to be confirmed.
    Your suggestion about talking to fellow dog owners at the park is good...I'll try that next time we're there. Thanks.
    Hidden Content

We live in a two-story townhome with our lab and mini dachshund. We have a small grassy area out back that we share with our neighbors. It's fenced only on the street side and lined by a hedge which is perfect for potty and playing fetch.

Our HOA docs limit dogs to only 20lbs and "aggressive breeds" are not allowed. We asked around before buying and everyone we spoke to said the rule hasn't been enforced in over 10 years. We also noticed neighbors walking dogs well over 20 lbs, including several pitbull mixes. We decided to take our chances and haven't had an issue. My husband joined the HOA board and two other members have dogs that don't meet the requirements, one is a huge pug and the other is a pitbull. Since they can't selectively enforce the rule, I don't think it will ever be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SoapySophie View Post
    Understood, but I may not be able to afford a freehold townhouse...that's to be confirmed.
    Your suggestion about talking to fellow dog owners at the park is good...I'll try that next time we're there. Thanks.
    it may be different in your area but make sure to really factor in cost of the condo (fees and such). condo townhomes may seem cheaper at first but it depends on a lot of other factors (monthly fees, how well the condo fund is doing/is managed and what needs to be "fixed" in the coming years)
    Last edited by Tanya; 12-15-2015 at 09:47 AM.

Good point, Tanya...my aunt recently experienced a nasty surprise at her condo, when they informed her that the cost of replacing the windows and sliding patio door would be split 50/50. Yikers.
    Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos