TRAD - Back In The Groove Part II

Aye Mates,
    TEAM TRAD did make it out in the field this morning to hunt Canada Geese. We left home at about 04:45 and met me two gunning Mates at a farm property that we recently aquired permission to hunt on arriving there at 05:30. Rain was coming down sideways when I left home but seemed to be improving the further east I had driven. The rain stopped shortly after me arrival at the farm.

A look at part of the decoy rig we had set out this morning for Canada geese. We Saw approximately 15 Canada Geese go by at long distances all morning, this area usually seeing several thousand geese throughout the day.

After a quick assessment of the most constant direction of the wind we began to set out full body Canada Goose decoys putting out a large spread. We had timed things carefully and had no sooner finished setting dexoys when we heard approaching geese. A small flock went by just prior to legal shootig time so we found ourselves just watching them fly by.

Me gunning Mates John and Paul along with TRAD, wait patiently in the blind scanning the skyline for approaching geese.

The temperature was an atypically warm 60 degrees, the rain had stopped early, but the wind had kicked up and was frequently gusting to over 40 mph, the result being decoys that initially were flipping over and then began rolling like tumbleweeds, that being the game changer that had us making the decision to call off the hunt.

A day lost? Hardly. We watched an incredible morning sky changing before our eyes like a chameleon, shared some snacks, coffee, and great conversation, and watched TRAD assume his all business posture in keeping watch for approaching birds, and we watched an unusually large flock of snow geese darting across the distant skyline, and we futher solidified bonds of friendship brought together by a shared passion for waterfowl hunting. Another great day afield. Best of all, TRAD'S recently injured foot was seemingly not giving him any pain as he ran about the corn lot while we picked up numerous decoys for transport home. TRAD exuded pure joy after a week spent resting his foot so that it would heal, that ovjective having been accomplished.

Cheers,
    TEAM TRAD
    Last edited by IRISHWISTLER; 12-16-2015 at 12:42 AM.
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

Guess it's like going fishing. It's called fishing and not catching because you're not always going to bring home a catch.

With great friends and TRAD, sounds like you all had a great time anyway.

Had to chuckle visualizing the decoys tumbling around.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

PopTop,
    You obviously "get it" in that such a hunt is really so much more than just shooting / killing geese. If that were the only facet / objective of waterfowling, I would likely have given it up nearly five decades ago. I love the time spent sharing a blind with great friends as well as in mentoring new hunters wanting to learn from those of us having nearly lifetimes of experience. Likely for me personally, watching a great gundog that I have trained and consider as a TEAM MATE is highly satisfying and keeps me coming back for more.

Irishwhistler
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

Great report Mike.

Some days you get the grouse and some days the grouse gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by Coalman View Post
    Great report Mike.

Some days you get the grouse and some days the grouse gets you.
    Dave,
    ROGER THAT MATE! Belly rubs for BAY and BELLE.

Slan,
    Mikey
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

A bad day of hunting beats a great day at work every time!!! Glad TRAD's foot is all heeled up!

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    A bad day of hunting beats a great day at work every time!!! Glad TRAD's foot is all heeled up!

Barry,
    I cannot argue with ye on that note Mate! Thanks on TRAD healing, certainly is good to have him back to field work.

Cheers,
    Irishwhistler
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IRISHWISTLER For This Useful Post:

barry581 (12-16-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos