Where can we post about making dog toys?

Is there anywhere to something about making dog toys on the forum?

Not specifically but the Fire Hydrant seems as good a place as any and likely to be seen by more people than a separate section! Post away!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter View Post
    Is there anywhere to something about making dog toys on the forum?
    Do you make dog toys? What kinds?

House Broken
    Do you mean toys for dogs, or dog toys?? Because I'd love some pattern recommendations for making toy dogs out of felt or knitted, thought I'd have a go even though I can't do that sort of thing really!

Have you tried a felted ball? I made one for my dogs to play with in the house because it doesn't bounce so I don't have to worry about it knocking things over. I used 100% wool yarn and felted it in the washing machine. It has held up very well but I don't leave it out when I am not home because Chip is a destructo doggy.

I also have made lots of fleece rope toys, those are Chip's FAVORITE thing in the entire world. He is more motivated by a game of tug then a treat some days so we make the fleece rope toys and use them for play and as a reward when teaching a new behavior. Again, those are not left out and about, they come out when it's time to play (or train) and then get put up so Chip can't shred them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippersnoodles View Post
    Have you tried a felted ball? I made one for my dogs to play with in the house because it doesn't bounce so I don't have to worry about it knocking things over. I used 100% wool yarn and felted it in the washing machine. It has held up very well but I don't leave it out when I am not home because Chip is a destructo doggy.

I also have made lots of fleece rope toys, those are Chip's FAVORITE thing in the entire world. He is more motivated by a game of tug then a treat some days so we make the fleece rope toys and use them for play and as a reward when teaching a new behavior. Again, those are not left out and about, they come out when it's time to play (or train) and then get put up so Chip can't shred them.
    I'm going to have to try to make one for Archie. He loves a good game of tug.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I bet he will love it. I like that they are soft and don't have threads that can cut gums or lips.

Do you braid them? Made out of fleece? How wide are the strips and how long?
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Yep, fleece is what I use. I cut the strips about four inches wide and the length depends on how big I want the toy. I like making them with a loop for me to hold and then one or two dangling tails so I tend to use the entire length of the fabric (45-60" depending on the fleece). I find the center, begin braiding, once a lngth suitable for a loop is made, I fold the fabric so the loop is created and then braid the strips into one or two tails. The toy on the left was made that way, the one on the right is a regular braid, for that one I use strips that were 30" long and 4" wide. The fluffy ball in the center is for my little dog to play with when her labby brother is not in the room.
    -image-jpg

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chippersnoodles For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (12-31-2015), PinkDragon14 (12-31-2015), POPTOP (12-31-2015)

My felted balls all fell apart. I used thrift store wool sweaters and I think my mistake was I had already shrunk them, for my mittens project, so there wasn't enough shrinkage and felting left in them to hold the balls together. I think I will try them again for the cats, but little ones.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos