FASCINATING New Business Opening in Our Town

Two dog behaviorists have partnered to start a business called K9 Games. I stopped by and was so impressed. I think they have a killer idea and business plan that would fit in great for our area.

There was a huge box store that went out of business years ago. It was recently cleaned up and opened for weekends as a sort of giant up-scale flea market. These two gals, however, instead of leasing a booth, leased the entire (former) garden center. Probably 5000 square feet? Their phase 1 plan is to create a doggy day-camp. Not a day care center, but a place where your dog will be "improved" every day he is there. If he's obese, they have specialized tread mills. If he's got behavior issues, they will work on those. If the owner wants the dog to learn specialized skills they will teach them. And, of course, they'll work with owners to educate them about their dogs. Currently they have (in addition to the two owners) two trainers working with them. So four professionals to continuously interact with the dogs.

Their Phase 2 will be to put in a series of swimming and dock diving tanks. (I'm sure that's Spring through early Fall.) They have lined up a trainer who holds a current North American title to work with those dog. (OMG... they even will have a little shallow pool to work on water sports for lap dogs. Can you just visualize it!???)

For Phase 3 they will lease 30-50,000 square feet in the building (it is so huge) to be able to begin every conceivable indoor sport. Agility, Obedience, Rally-O, schutzhund, breed club conformation shows... the possibilities are limitless.

So really, it sounds like these gals want to be like the active-dog-emporium for our region. I think we need it, to be honest.

Sounds fun!

What's your region? Just wondering if it's my region, but I doubt it.

Sounds like an excellent idea.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Senior Dog
    Wow, impressive!
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

We are in Northern NV.

I think that there are outlets for any dog sport you want to do in N. NV. (Reno, Sparks, Carson City) but not a lot of any ONE. What I mean is, if you do serious ring obedience, there's a club for you. I do field training. There is a very active group I train with. Agility, maybe one or two really quality people/clubs with whom you need to affiliate. Whether intentional or not, these places sort of act as gatekeepers. You have to be available on their time frame, and make a reasonable commitment (since these are often cooperative training opportunities.) It will be cool to have someone offering expanded opportunities.

Must be daunting starting something totally new. Tough these days to start your own business. But they are dreaming big.

K9 Training - K9 Games Reno
    Last edited by TuMicks; 12-20-2015 at 06:12 PM.

Sounds very interesting!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Sounds great. Will you be going there for anything?
    Kathy--mom to:
    Mac--chocolate lab
    Scotty--Arabian gelding

No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses.
    (Herman Melville Redburn)

I will absolutely be consulting them on help for dog socialization. That is my principle concern with this dog right now because in almost all other respects, she is doing sooooo well on everything we are trying to accomplish.

But having found a real behaviorist, to me, is very exciting. I don't think a trainer, per se is what she needs.

That sounds like a ton of fun, and a great opportunity for a lot of people and their dogs!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos