Anyone have this happen?

I got home from work this afternoon, took the dogs out in the yard for about 10 minutes, came back in and fed Bruce. Sophie and I went back out into the yard and played for about 10 minutes alone while Bruce ate. Came back in the house and was fixing myself lunch, I look into the room where the dogs were, and Sophie had pooped on the floor. She has not had a accident in the house in well over 2 years. Poop was normal, so no diarreah issue.

Any thoughts?

FYI I've made sure Sophie has stayed on her normal feeding, exercise, and training schedule and I make sure she's getting loved on as much as normal before Bruce came. They get along fine, although Sophie can get a bit rough when playing bitey face, so I monitor that very closely.

Puppy
    How long has Bruce been in the house? If it's more than a month or two, then probably Sophie wasn't done pooping before play. Just because they poop some, it doesn't mean they are done. It's probably why I somewhat limit all that stuff when I take them out. They know they are going out to do their stuff. It allows me to monitor when they poop and pee and also the amount. Sounds silly and strange for me to admit that, however, it allows me to know when they are really done and not distracted by anything else. Sure I play outside, but only after I'm sure they are done.

Best Friend Retriever Polly Pipkin's Avatar
    I am the same - play time is afterwards and I only have Polly now to 'monitor'.
    Hidden Content Katy & Polly

Hidden Content

Duchess Jan. 31, 2000 - Dec. 18, 2011, Always in our hearts

Senior Dog
    I think it could be just a random accident AND related to the new puppy in the house. One time this happened to my dog when I had a guest visiting. On the third day for no reason at all my lab pooed inside the house. All routines had remained the same and I hadn't reduced the time spent with my lab.I was so shocked and it never happened again and there was no other variations or illness. I put it down to just a little confusion or vague moment related to the new house guest.

Senior Dog
    May be some jealousy. I know that when a new baby comes into the house, the toddler that had Mom and Dad all to themselves will do things to gain more attention.

This too shall pass.

KAZ

Thanks for the input. Bruce has been here a week and a half, and they are getting along well, playing bitey-face, wondering around the yard, etc. I monitor them very closely when they are playing as Sophie is used to playing with dogs her size, and was pretty rough the first couple days. She's gotten much more gentle with him as I think she now understands he's just a baby, but I don't want to take any chances.

I'll keep an eye on things the next couple days and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    May be some jealousy. I know that when a new baby comes into the house, the toddler that had Mom and Dad all to themselves will do things to gain more attention.

This too shall pass.

KAZ
    Yep. My nephew was 16 months when his sister came along. Nephew's toilet training took a definite step backwards for several months.

never had this happen.......i guess it's a yet

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos