Thread: Oh deer!

Oh deer!

Our neighbor just gave us not one but two venison legs. I opened up the bags and they are huge!!! Does anyone know how to cut these? Also if anyone has a good venison recipes, we would love to try them.

Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

Bamps (12-21-2015)

My OH has a saw he bought just to cut such bones when he was still hunting. It's a meat saw but it looks like a hack saw so if you have one I'd try that. If it isn't meant for meat though, make sure you clean off whatever oil was probably put on the blade to keep it from rusting between uses. When I was feeding raw OH did the cutting, he could hold the bones or frozen stuff and cut too. I'd need to put the stuff in a vise grip.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Well I have always deboned with a knife. Do you know if they are fresh or have they been frozen? If fresh they tend to bleed a lot and you need to cover your surface. I remove the sinu first then cu down each muscle line seperating all the meat, Then down behind against the bone, Hope that made sense.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

Bamps (12-21-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Jollymolly View Post
    Well I have always deboned with a knife. Do you know if they are fresh or have they been frozen? If fresh they tend to bleed a lot and you need to cover your surface. I remove the sinu first then cu down each muscle line seperating all the meat, Then down behind against the bone, Hope that made sense.
    Yes it does make sense! I found a YouTube video that showed it how you described. Was much easier (and less gruesome) than I thought it would be. I think it was fresh, it bled but not too bad. Not bad for my first try. I'm going to do the other one tomorrow.

Do I have to get all the sinu off? I cut as much as I could off but there are still pieces with a thin layer of it on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

Bamps (12-21-2015)

Oh. I thought you were wanting to cut the bones themselves. Into smaller pieces. It sounds like you aren't going to use the bones? But lots of people would feed them or use them as recreational chews. IN which case leaving some sinew and stuff on is only going to make it more attractive to a dog.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Oh. I thought you were wanting to cut the bones themselves. Into smaller pieces. It sounds like you aren't going to use the bones? But lots of people would feed them or use them as recreational chews. IN which case leaving some sinew and stuff on is only going to make it more attractive to a dog.
    I kept the bone for the dogs for some supervised recreational chewing. At first Daisy wanted nothing to do with it but Lily loved it right away.

No if cooking the sinew will soften so not to worry about getting it all off. Ill look for some of my recipes for you. I'd love some to make jerky

Pinterest has a lot of recipes
    Last edited by Jollymolly; 12-22-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Very jealous! (Maxx and Emma are too, venison is a favorite!)
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos