Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Christmas puppies

I as at the airport cargo area yesterday. They were busy with Christmas puppies. The puppies were cute but it was a little sad. I had to wonder if they would all work out with forever homes. I've seen the shelters pushing Christmas adoptions too. I want to see them all find homes but it worries me that some may not be not well thought out. Puppies are cute at Christmas, I hope their owners still think they are cute in a year.
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ckfalz For This Useful Post:

Meeps83 (12-22-2015)

it's sad. even just walking around christmas day or the 26th you see lots of kids out with puppies (LOVE when the family sends out the 8 year old to walk the 8 week old puppy alone).

Some rescues do a total hold on adoptions, at least that was a thing. I think they have relaxed that though, and now go case by case. the adopted dog can't be a gift and if you have travel plans or a big day they'll DELAY the adoption til after the holidays. But many people have a quiet week at home so it's actually a good time to bring home a new dog.

Our local humane society does christmas day deliveries. However, my understanding is the family is all pre-screened and I am pretty sure they even meet any kids before hand. The parents may tell the kids they were just visiting that dog or that they are not getting it. Then chrsitmas day the HS will come to their home with the puppy. I have mixed feelings. I think if the family isn't hosting over the holidays and ALL usual due diligence was done it's sorta cute. and you can't gift someone else with the dog. Still.

The facebook groups for dogs selling/buying are full of requests for puppies "ready to go chrsitmas day" or "for a gift". Breeders advertising their litter will be "ready for christmas". these are the more risky ones as there is no real questions asked on either side - just an exchange of money for puppy and a breeder that likely doesn't want all the puppies over the holidays.

I am glad to hear some places put a hold on adoptions. I had never thought about the breeders who are bombarded with requests this time of year until I read a previous thread on here.

Senior Dog
    Friends of ours just brought home a new puppy over the weekend. It wasn’t a complete impulse, as they had been hoping for a boy from Chloe 6 months ago, but when that didn’t work out, they weren’t sure about whether they wanted a puppy in general (as opposed to a Chloe puppy). I guess they decided they did, but they went with another Labradoodle (like their first dog). I’m kind of biting my tongue about it because I can’t stand “designer breeds” but their first dog is a really nice dog, and they are great owners. Hoping it all works out for them.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (12-22-2015)

Thinking back to the days of having young kids and all the chaos of the holidays I can not imagine mixing a new puppy in to that! I was also careful to time puppy potty training to milder weather as well. I know it does not always work that way but I think I might even be tempted to pass up a litter if it was not the proper time. I worry about the puppy first, unfortunately too many do not and the consequences are heartbreaking.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I can't imaging bringing a puppy home at Christmas time. If it were only me and DH, it would be wonderful but with all the grans too much for a puppy or even a senior.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Makes me sad for all those puppies being flown around all over the place. I'd be so worried about their health, the stress of the flight, all that. I can only hope they end up in caring homes.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

barry581 (12-22-2015)

Senior Dog
    The year we had a litter that would have been ready to go at Christmas time I held them until after the rush of the season. A friend dressed up as Santa Claus and we made video tapes for each of the families. Santa explained that they could pick their puppy up on such and such a day when they would have lots of time to play with the pup. The video included segments of just their pup. It worked out really well. Years later one of the families got a second dog from me.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anna Scott For This Useful Post:

barry581 (12-22-2015), Maxx&Emma (12-22-2015), Scoutpout (12-23-2015)

I can only pray all these pups end up in happy, loving homes. If I were a breeder, there is no way I'd let the pups go to their new homes in the week before Christmas.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (12-22-2015)

Why are animals so closely associated with holidays? I can't think of a worse time. Chicks and ducklings for Easter are the most confusing to me. Who wants an adult chicken unless you plan for that?

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos