Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

5.5 year old with knee issues.

Here's the scoop. Our 5.5 year old chocolate Jolene has been in some discomfort and limping around for a couple weeks. This has happened before but limping never lasted more than a couple days. She is not limping badly but if you really look you can see she is protecting 1 leg.
    I took her to the Vet on Tuesday. The Vet says she can feel slack in her knee as well as scarring and onset of arthritis.......

The vet recommended 1 month of rest. Short, leashed walks only then re-evaluation (sedation and x-ray). In the meantime the Vet also suggest a round of Cartrophen over the 1 month of rest. The rest should allow some scar tissue to build and may re-tighten the knee? If not the Vet was suggesting TPLO or TTA surgury depending on what they find.

So, we're pretty down about the whole situation. Jolene is a very active dog who loves to fetch and swim. I have no idea how we are to keep her quiet for a month. She's a door crashing, couch jumping fool sometimes.

If anyone can offer their experience or opinions we'd appreciate it.

Look at it this way, if you don't rest her now, she will tear the ligament for sure and they you are looking at MONTHS of healing for each TPLO you might need.

Been there, you just have to do it. Crating them for their own good is hard, but it's not like you are being cruel to them. You are taking care of them.

Crate and an XPen.

The Dynamic Gang

Senior Dog
    Hi, Welcome to the Board. Sorry to hear about your pup. Will echo what was said above. Hoping all goes well through this month of rest and surgery can be avoided.

KAZ

So sorry. I have a lab mix that has a slight limp that I've been hoping would get better, so far it hasn't so am thinking a vet visit will be coming up and I hooooope it's not anything too serious. He's my running buddy and his black lab buddy's best playmate in the world.

hello and welcome, it will be hard but must be done, the time will pass quickly!

Puppy
    Thanks, It's going to be a long month. She's just not used to resting.
    She is walking without limping and appears to be putting mostly even weight on both back legs now. She is on Metacam for another week and a half. We'll be back at the vet on Thursday for a quick checkup and another shot of Cartrophen.

(i used to be a member of the board and active in 2010ish but usually read the boards every month. shame at what happenbed. a lot of great info is gone)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew71041 For This Useful Post:

ZRabbits (06-10-2014)

House Broken
    Our boy is 5.5 too and having knee issues. We did the rest thing but weren't successful. We tried only letting him swim but he still ran in and out of the water. He has a consultation with a Surgeon next week with possible surgery the same day. There used to be a lot of good information on the site about TPLO but it was lost with the crash.

Puppy
    shelly, please keep me in the loop on where you end up. I'd be interested in your decisions and progress.

Just got back from the vet. Got her Cartrophen shot and a quick checkup. No real difference in her knee. We'll see what another 3 weeks of rest does. She lost almost 2 pounds last week though. I find that kind of odd. She's down to 67 pounds.

House Broken
    Unfortunately yesterday he was running with our 20 month old Newf (he should have been on leash) and my husband heard him cry out. We think he has now totally ruptured the CCL. Luckily we already had an appointment for next week with the surgeon. I called this morning to see if we could get an earlier one and ours was the earliest. He won't put any weight on his leg now. My husband felt really bad. Our journey of limping, resting, limping began in September. I just hope that the surgery and rehabilitation will get him back to his normal state. A Lab that can't run is really sad. I will keep you posted re: surgery and his progress.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos