Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click to Calm vs Control Unleashed

I've seen Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt mentioned a couple times. I read about the "look at that" game in one of the threads here and have started it with Bobby. He isn't aggressive or fearful but just easily distracted and attention is something I want to work on.

I started doing some research and it's a book I'll have to order online. It's not exactly cheap so I want to do some research before ordering. Anyway, I did see others comparing it to Click to Calm by Emma Parsons often.

I just wanted to ask, what do you think of the books? Is it a worthwhile investment for an easily distracted dog in everyday settings (heard CU is more focused on sports)? If you could have just one, which would you choose?
    Last edited by Halcyon; 06-06-2014 at 08:05 PM.

are either available at a local library? I would generally just say "buy both" haha. I have (well had, my friend has it now) control unleashed. but don't know the other.

There is tons online as well. Currently I am investigation this couple, and going to read their information in detail, lots is free online. Their goal is Impulse Control, Calmness and Focus. I admittedly have not yet looked to hard at this but they seem to give practical tips (at least at first glance): Absolute-Dogs

Senior Dog
    I'm of the adage, the more the merrier. I'd get both. Thanks for posting as I'll look into them.

Was given a great suggestion on a Puppy Training Group, also backed by Christina. Not just classes, but workshops as well. Very well rounded regarding education of your pup.

WonderDogs First in South Jersey

Already researched and will be taking my pup there to start training when I'm allowed to take him out of his backyard once all his shots are done. This IS a stipulation of the breeder and something I would have done anyway.

KAZ

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    are either available at a local library? I would generally just say "buy both" haha. I have (well had, my friend has it now) control unleashed. but don't know the other.

There is tons online as well. Currently I am investigation this couple, and going to read their information in detail, lots is free online. Their goal is Impulse Control, Calmness and Focus. I admittedly have not yet looked to hard at this but they seem to give practical tips (at least at first glance): Absolute-Dogs
    None at the library unfortunately. I would get both but they aren't cheap add in shipping to Australia, the price just goes up and up. I have heard that both are very similar though.

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
    None at the library unfortunately. I would get both but they aren't cheap add in shipping to Australia, the price just goes up and up. I have heard that both are very similar though.
    Are they available as ebooks for an iPad, Kindle, etc.? Not sure if that would be a cheaper option for you...

I may have to look into these books as well. Molly is still young, but I don't think it's ever too early to start.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelly524 For This Useful Post:

Tanya (06-07-2014), ZRabbits (06-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly524 View Post
    Are they available as ebooks for an iPad, Kindle, etc.? Not sure if that would be a cheaper option for you...

I may have to look into these books as well. Molly is still young, but I don't think it's ever too early to start.
    They probably are available as an e-book but I'm one those people who prefer a physical copy. It's just a lot easier for me to read and enjoy and find and mark certain sections for further study. I just scanned the contents to Click to Calm and it seems more focused on aggression so I am leaning more towards Control Unleashed, although, that one focuses more on agility.

I got it for the same reason, distraction. I am very pleased with the response I've gotten from Oban using the technique's suggested. I could find no place to order it other than the one give on the website but that was about 5 years ago. Maybe you could borrow one? If you have to buy it go ahead, it's worth it if you ask me. It is aimed at agility competition but any time you let your dog off leash you will have the same distractions. Highly, highly, highly recommend it. I got the videos too but I use the book most. I think it's well written enough, and in an engaging manner, that you won't need the videos.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Halcyon (06-07-2014), WhoopsaDaisy (06-07-2014)

I'm going to look up these books also. I guess I could do a little reading in my time off I hate reading non fiction usually... And I've got a load of fiction books on my list to read this summer. But this sounds valuable so I'll look into adding them to my list.
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

House Broken
    I've got both. For your purposes, I'd get Control Unleashed PUPPY. It's better than the first one (updated) and works good any age dog, not just pups.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to indybindy For This Useful Post:

Halcyon (06-08-2014)

Note sure what pricing and sites you have been looking at but check this Aussie site out, it is where I got my copy of Control Unleashed back in 2010. They have Control Unleashed as well as Control Unleashed Puppy version that indybindy mentioned above, both at $26.00 each plus postage (they charged me $5.00 for postage which I believe is still std) and this link is to the puppy version and you can find the normal version on their site through their search option.

Puppies

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos