Puppy might have picked up a flea or two at my Grandma's house

Picked up my new puppy on the 24th and afterwards headed to my Grandma's for a couple days. My Grandma lives on 4 acres in a rural area and has a 2 year golden retriever and 5 cats. Long story short, the Golden is apparently on flea control, cats I am not sure.

I found a flea on the golden and had one on my arm while i was there for the 2 days. Now I think my pup might have picked up a flea or two : (

I have been checking him multiple times and haven't seen one but he started scratching a lot more about 24 hours after being at my Grandmothers.

Anyway, my question is, what should i do? We are heading to the vet this week. I really do not want to put flea control on him at this age (at least i dont think i want to) i am all for "normal" vaccines but do not want to overload his little puppy system at his young age.

Help ! and/or suggestions.

Most of the flea meds like Advantage are safe for puppies 8 weeks and older. Linus had a flea or two early on, probably from my yard where lots of stray cats are in and out of. He was born and brought home in the summertime, so no surprise there. You can just talk to your vet when you see him if that will make you feel better. Flea control should not overload his system. Those suckers are impossible to see on black dogs, too. Ugh!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (12-27-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    Most of the flea meds like Advantage are safe for puppies 8 weeks and older. Linus had a flea or two early on, probably from my yard where lots of stray cats are in and out of. He was born and brought home in the summertime, so no surprise there. You can just talk to your vet when you see him if that will make you feel better. Flea control should not overload his system. Those suckers are impossible to see on black dogs, too. Ugh!
    isn't that the truth. My sweet boy milo (RIP) was a beautiful yellow in color and I could pick fleas off him with ease (ironically he ONLY got them at Christmas time when we went to my grandmas-even if I put flea control on him prior)

I just took 2 doses of fiprogard (generic Frontline) to a friend whose cats got fleas and gave them to her OES (old english sheepdogs) on Christmas Eve. I didn't have any cat goop but I had the dog stuff... she had to go to a local vet for the cat stuff at a tune of $40!!!! I'd get moving on a preventative now, just in case. The last thing you want is your carpet, furniture etc contaminated w/ fleas! I buy mine online and it's only ~$5 a dose when I buy in bulk. She made me homemade fruit cake and gave me some really nice labrador fleece for a blankie the week before, so I still won in the end! Some times it's nice to have friends....
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Hi there little Champ! Congratulations on your new puppy!!

I am a little concerned that your new baby had such an exciting first Christmas. I usually recommend that puppy families keep it quiet at home for a few days, and spend that time bonding and setting up a routine. I worry a bit about all the the trouble a baby puppy can get into, (yes fleas, and eating weird things, exposure to disease from wild animals that have passed through all that acreage, etc...) with out another vaccination under his belt.

Hopefully you can get the flea situation under control before they lay eggs in your home, I am sure the vet has a flea preventative that is appropriate for his age and weight.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (12-27-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Hi there little Champ! Congratulations on your new puppy!!

I am a little concerned that your new baby had such an exciting first Christmas. I usually recommend that puppy families keep it quiet at home for a few days, and spend that time bonding and setting up a routine. I worry a bit about all the the trouble a baby puppy can get into, (yes fleas, and eating weird things, exposure to disease from wild animals that have passed through all that acreage, etc...) with out another vaccination under his belt.

Hopefully you can get the flea situation under control before they lay eggs in your home, I am sure the vet has a flea preventative that is appropriate for his age and weight.
    He was with me the entire time. The cats stay outside and he had no interaction with them. He was never out of my sight.

It sounds as though Champ was never on the ground outside at the grandmother's. So that's good.

We spent our first several days just quietly at home w/ Hoku. We were advised not to take her out of the house / backyard until her 3rd shot, so that's what we followed (save one trip to the local police department, but she was never put on the ground). It was rough! But those first weeks are over quickly, and are really worth it.

In re fleas, I'd certainly put him on medication for them. Hoku spends a lot of time outside—in the yard, in large local parks, hikes—and fleas are everywhere.
    Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

I'm sure your puppy is fine! Fleas are everywhere, especially where cats roam. It's a part of life for the pet owner. Unfortunately.

The American Veterinary Medical Association suggests that the puppy is 7 days past his first set before socializing in a controlled environment - i.e., a reputable obedience school that holds puppy k, the homes and yards of trusted friends with healthy, vaccinated dogs. I personally like to wait until after the second set to start class, and even then, I carry the pup through the parking lot. The key is to not put your puppy's paws in a place where lots of strange dogs have walked, pooped and peed. That includes your vet's floor. If your puppy is super wiggly, doesn't like being carried or you're physically unable to carry him, then stay home, but invite a variety of people and their healthy vaccinated and trustworthy dogs over to play.

You'll hear a lot of different advice and lots of stories about undersocialized puppies or puppies that became ill. While it is true that more dogs die of euthanazia from lack of training and socialization than from anything we vaccinate our dogs for, the chances of the pup being a horribly undersocialized dog if you decide to keep him in longer than the next person is pretty slim. But, getting ill, especially if you are careful, is also slim. It's really just a decision you'll have to make for yourself based on your area, your vet, your breeder, your research and your comfort level, and it's highly likely that whatever decision -- as long as it is not extreme either way -- that you are comfortable with will work out just fine.

I have worked in pest control for the last 5 years. If you need any help in eliminating fleas from your residence or questions about fleas, PM me.

We brought Sam home in February and at our first vet visit they gave us Frontline and a dose of heartworm medication. Our breeder said the HW meds weren't really necessary yet but said they wouldn't hurt him so to wait until the first of the month and give it because that's an easy day to remember. Sam still gets his HW on the first. I held off giving the Frontline because we had snow on the ground. However it's been so unseasonably warm that Champ could have picked up a flea and where there's one, there are often more. I would probably give a dose now to prevent a possible infestation and if it gets cold, hold off on giving more until it warms up again.

ETA Sometimes you can't help exposing your puppy to areas where other dogs have been especially if you live in an apartment or townhouse community. You just need to be practical and try to find a spot off the beaten path for puppy to potty.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos