Senior Dog

Found a new kind of chew for my dogs

Now I should preface this by saying that none of mine are power chewers, so I don’t usually worry about them cracking or splintering things. They are not huge antler fans, probably because they don’t chew hard enough to get any off, but they LOVE cow hooves.

I don’t love cow hooves because a lot of them smell like cow when the dogs chew on them, LOL. Was at the food store today and saw they had water buffalo horns ... got a couple smaller ones to try for them and all 3 dogs LOVE them. They’ve gnawed the edges a bit and it seems to be coming off in stringy filaments, not sharp chunks, so I feel ok with letting them have them.

Again, might not be suitable for power chewers, but definitely an option for lighter chewing dogs. I’ve never seen these before, so found it interesting.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (12-27-2015)

Senior Dog
    Dan has a tendency to break teeth...I was warned against any of the yummy harder things years ago...but those horns do sound interesting.

We used to give our Akitas cow hooves...outdoors only....phew, they do smell like cow patties.

funny you mention them... i got Scout a black, kind of curved, horn the other day, but he hasn't bothered with it, silly boy. i thought he'd love it. when the farrier came around to the barn, the dogs all used to wait for a bit of hoof to run off with and chew. stinky, but apparently very tasty.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

I tried those, and neither Bruce or Sophie liked them. Gave it a couple of chews, then...... nothing. The only thing they would consistently wear out were marrow bones. Sophie did like the cow hooves, but they stink, and she'd crack good size pieces off, so they went off limits.

I got those for the boys last Thanksgiving to keep them busy and they really liked them. They'll pick them up to chew on from time to time. I wouldn't call them power chewers with the exception of anything highly edible (knuckle bones or rawhides). The one issue I had is that they carry toys around in the morning and when I get home, just being excited, and depending on how they hold the horns, they can really get you with them!

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    I tried those, and neither Bruce or Sophie liked them. Gave it a couple of chews, then...... nothing. The only thing they would consistently wear out were marrow bones. Sophie did like the cow hooves, but they stink, and she'd crack good size pieces off, so they went off limits.

I call marrow bones the "magical treat for perfect doggy behavior". We go to a lot of dog friendly eating establishments (hooray for California's year-round good weather and outdoor eating), and always bring along a marrow bone for Thor to enjoy under the table while we eat. Otherwise, he get so excited about meeting other people and dogs that he can be a bit disruptive. In a fun way, but still - managing 70 lbs of happy wiggles while I'm trying to not let my food get cold can be a bit annoying. With the marrow bone he happily chews on it and wags his tail while people comment on what a well behaved puppy we have. If only they knew...
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

barry581 (12-28-2015), Chippersnoodles (12-30-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos