Every day Obedience training on the job

I've said it before but I love my work. Today I had to sample a big CA (controlled atmosphere for apples in this case) complex where I am allowed to bring along a dog for companionship/protection etc. A couple years ago I actually encountered trespassers there who scared the crap out of me, and Kiku stood her ground because she KNEW those people were not supposed to be in there! She also (as do my other dogs) know who DO belong and wiggle up to them... Anyhow, w/ all the snow I took Kiku today to be my "avalanche/protection dog" (we joke about snow sliding off the roofs of the one complex!). I'm amazed at the workers who don't have a great handle on the English language, but "know" my dogs and what colors I have, and always seem to ask me how they all are doing when I see them.
    Oh, and Kiku enjoyed at least 6 apples that she found out in the complex that fell out of bins, and even "handled" (as in field handling/ "backs"-- kind of like a long go out for obed folks) to one at ~50 yds away. Not to mention good Stay / heel training as the big 18 wheelers and forklifts went by. Training scenario at its best imo, and why I hate to see all the adversarial comments toward the Stay exercises in Obedience training these days. Mine have to understand that obedience is part of our everyday life. And yes, my adult dogs are off lead when I do this sort of work.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (12-29-2015), barry581 (12-29-2015)

I was going to say that it sounds like you are in / near Yakima, and then just checked. I haven't spent much time in Yakima, but have been through it many times, and a very dear fiend of mine is from Selah. It's beautiful land out there.

However, to your post: why are "Stay" exercises controversial? I hadn't heard this.
    Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Abulafia View Post
    I was going to say that it sounds like you are in / near Yakima, and then just checked. I haven't spent much time in Yakima, but have been through it many times, and a very dear fiend of mine is from Selah. It's beautiful land out there.

However, to your post: why are "Stay" exercises controversial? I hadn't heard this.
    People don’t like the idea of leaving the dogs on a stay line, particularly out of sight stays such as are found in the Open class. Apparently, they (mostly the owners of small dogs) are worried about their dogs being attacked in the ring. Personally, I’ve been showing in Obedience for almost 20 years and can probably count on one hand the incidents that I’ve personally witnessed and none of them involved actual injury to a dog, so I tend to think the risk is being overblown and sensationalized. The worst dog-on-dog attack I’ve ever seen at a show actually involved conformation Labs, not Obedience dogs.

The AKC recently created the “preferred” track for titles which eliminates the need for group stays, but will probably never be seen as being as prestigious as the regular track.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (12-29-2015), windycanyon (12-30-2015)

Ok, thanks for explaining. I was worried that there was some new belief that simply teaching "stay" is a bad thing, which I found confusing.
    Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos