Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help!! Bad breeder info!

I need help to stop someone from buying an over-priced puppy from a notorious commercial "breeder". This person has been duped, as have many, by a pretty website and FB page that say all the right thing. They could buy 2 or 3 puppies from a responsible/reputable breeder for what this breeder is charging. Any advice that will help is welcome, obviously I will not use any real or user names. TIA!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Have all the clearances been done? Check the guarantee if there is any, many of those type make you return the dog if something goes wrong. Hip Dysplasia, you return the dog, you get your money back, it gets put to sleep.

House Broken
    Tell her to read the contract VERY carefully and think hard about what it's actually saying.
    mom to:
    Carley (Impulse Revival of Sweetrox CGCA RN)
    Hex (UKC CH Stormy C's Black Magic)
    Luci (the husky that tries to act like the labs)

Agree with Jen. Have this person ask for clearances, see the certificates, look up on OFA, etc. Then have them ask for parents and grandparents clearances. Ask for pedigree chart on parents and look up their clearances. Ask about what shows/events the breeder participates in and how the dogs did. Ask to see the parents.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

really the price thing alone should be your best ammunition - that she can get a much healthier better puppy for cheaper!

Thanks guys! The dogs do have all the proper clearances but neither have any titles, both dogs belong to the breeder. I looked at the contract and yes, dog must be returned if there are any issues. I wish I could talk this person out of the puppy, I have heard horror stories from other breeders and puppy buyers. I guess the best I can do is give her all the info and if she buys this puppy, hope for the best. It just hurts my heart, she is getting screwed, royally.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    really the price thing alone should be your best ammunition - that she can get a much healthier better puppy for cheaper!
    You would think so! For some reason she thinks the extra $$ means a better puppy!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Well good luck. We just found out a friend, who lives at some distance, bought a pup from a breeder who offers only to replace a pup and is just starting to do some of the usual clearances on all breeding dogs. It looks like all they do now is hips and elbows. To make it harder, they are involved with their local club and a service dog organization, which of course makes them look like good citizens. I found the breeder's website and as you say, it's pretty. This friend spoke to the OH too, but of course I can't say for sure what the OH told him to look for.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    You would think so! For some reason she thinks the extra $$ means a better puppy!
    yeah that's the other side of the coin, people thinking more $ means better.

Sounds like at best you can just give you stories and maybe google see if anything has been written up on them and just leave it at "based on your research and experience with labs she would do better to pass on this breeder". It sucks but other than sharing the info and your opinion not much else can be done.

Try links to the labrador club and maybe you "local" labrador club.

Looks like you've done all you can. At the end of the day these people are adults and have to be responsible for their own actions, and live through the consequences. Best case scenario, they get an overpriced, poorly bred example of a Lab; worst case, they get an overpriced dog with avoidable genetic issues, that is a bad example of the breed physically and behaviorally. Then they'll get to spend way more money dealing with those issues on top of the purchase price.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (01-04-2016), Maxx&Emma (01-04-2016), Tanya (01-04-2016), windycanyon (01-04-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos