Lake Effect Snow

We live fairly close to Lake Michigan. Today I had to go for CT scan (had to drink barium which subsequently gave me the runs-UGH). The facility is only 2 miles inland from the house. It was snowing at a pretty good clip when I left the house, nothing at the CT office. Coming home the reverse. It's so weird how it happens. Thank goodness it did not last but a couple of hours and the sun is out now.

From the forecasts, the same system is dumping on IN and reaching much further inland.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I was in Cleveland for a short time during 2 winters. When they talked about Lake Effect snow, I somehow thought it was a lesser kind of snow. Boy, was I wrong! I hope you are staying warm, safe and dry.

We are getting hit with rain. We have a Pineapple Express in effect.

Lake effect snow is such a strange one. I'm glad I live just outside of Lake Erie's wrath.

You guys get some very strange weather.

we get "streamers" off Lake Huron when the wind blows from the NW. Fortunately for me, we're just far enough away that the wind has to be a bit stronger for the streamers to get all the way here. 20 - 30 miles northwest is the snowbelt, they get hammered with it.
    We get "lake effect" off Lake Ontario when there's an east wind, that can be brutal, a storm goes thru and then we get the East wind and a ton more snow.
    The "streamers" are more fickle, they tend to be narrower bands of Lake effect snow, that can shift as the wind shifts. The lake effect from Lake ontario is usually more of a continuing snowfall.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

^^ Yep, streamers of lake effect snow. They can be seen on radar, a long strip of heavy snow and right beside, nothing. Sometimes you can literally see a line on the ground, snow on one side, none on the other. We have a nice batch of snow now but a couple of days ago while we had flurries just a bit to the north and west there were whiteouts.

Be careful driving folks. OH and I, back when he was only BF, were in a 7 car rear ender due to streamers. Both our cars were totalled. I got a broken nose and leg. The first guy couldn't see and stopped dead in the middle of the road, bang, bang, bang, BANG, bang, bang, bang.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    ^^ Yep, streamers of lake effect snow. They can be seen on radar, a long strip of heavy snow and right beside, nothing. Sometimes you can literally see a line on the ground, snow on one side, none on the other. We have a nice batch of snow now but a couple of days ago while we had flurries just a bit to the north and west there were whiteouts.

Be careful driving folks. OH and I, back when he was only BF, were in a 7 car rear ender due to streamers. Both our cars were totalled. I got a broken nose and leg. The first guy couldn't see and stopped dead in the middle of the road, bang, bang, bang, BANG, bang, bang, bang.
    That's a bad accident!

Yes, it was streamers this time and luckily the winds kept the worse of them over the lake.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos