Paw Protection in the summer?

Does anyone use a paw protection in the summer? Here in ATL the roads and the side walks are already really hot. Emma comes with me to work 4 days a week, and around my job its mostly cement and asphalt. I don't want her to burn her pads on the hot ground, so I was wondering would using something like mushers secret give some protection?

What do people in the southwest due? beside avoiding going outside when the sun is brutally hot.

Used to live in Savannah so I know what your talking about. Going barefoot in concrete was incredibly painful.

You might want to take advantage of booties in the situation you're talking about. We've not used them but others here have and should have recommendations for types/brands.

Senior Dog
    Please do not walk your dog on burning hot cement or blacktop. It can really burn their pads raw...very painful and takes lots of time to heal.

Ruffwear makes some very nice dog boots:

Summit Trexâ„¢ Dog Boots - Singles

We don't go outside when its super hot out anyways, and I know that it takes for every to heal! Hence, why I'm trying to prepare for the days it get 95+ for an entire week with no rain.

We tried boots this winter during the few snow/ice days we had, but Emma hated them and walked super funny with them. Which is when I found out about Mushers Secret.

I think booties are like anything new, they need to get used to them. Put them on and go for a walk encouraging with treats. Some dogs adjust quickly, others need time.

Never could get Mardi used to her panties when she was in heat. Archie was never exposed to anything different, i.e. bandana. We're working on it.

Well, it reaches 115 to 120 here and I just dont let the dogs walk on hot asphalt when its hot. If we go to Petsmart or something I carry the little ones and my husband picks up Zoey until we get to the door. Ive tried boots but that didnt go over very well. Not sure if any kind of cream or whatever would really help, I personally wouldnt even chance it. Hot asphalt and concrete can really burn, real fast

We stay indoors until september, I dont even do walks, its still 100 outside well after midnight

I don't use it but we don't go for walks before 6 pm anyway when it gets really hot.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos