Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Facing Reality

Facing Reality

Sorry this is mostly just a vent session, but sometimes I don’t have anyone to talk to that would understand this predicament. Most people give me strange looks when I admit that I take my dog to an Alternative Therapy vet, I would love to tell them it’s “my dog” and “my money”, so “shove it”.

But anyways… Our Ruby is 13.5 yrs old. I am blessed every day that she is still with us. She herself has been through a lot, and she has seen both my DH and I through a lot. Almost 2 years ago an Alternative Vet (who was first a medical vet) opened up practice approximately 5 miles from us. Curiosity gets the best of me, I looked into it, and thought “what the heck”. Ruby has been a patient for 1.5 years, getting acupuncture and chiropractic services. Going once a month seemed to help, until recently. She is increasingly weak in the hind end, been off balance, Lar-Par, etc. Yup, she’s getting old. And I have to face reality.

So I’m at the point of making a decision to discontinue service.
    I am a person that is very Risk vs Benefit vs Cost. I would spend (almost) every last penny I have on my girls, but I don’t think I can justify an increased frequency to the Alt Vet. Unfortunately its not gonna turn back the hands of time, and it isn’t gonna reverse the arthritis etc. All I want is for her to be comfortable and pain free.

Thanks for listening. Sometimes it makes things easier to accept if I put them in writing.
    I still have to convince my heart and my mind that this is the right thing.
    God help us with the future since I sit here crying over this simple decision.

Senior Dog
    Ruby knows that you'll do what's necessary to spare her pain and fear. If the treatments aren't helping, they are doing nothing positive for either you or Ruby...but I don't really agree that it's a "simple decision". I think it's just as tough as the final one.

Good thoughts from me that Ruby will be able to achieve some degree of comfort without the extended vet visits.

(I've used a holistic vet in the past...feline asthma, canine seizures...herbs, acupuncture, and chiropractic.)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

black_paws (01-07-2016)

I'm so sorry. As hard as we try, all the things we try, all the research we do, the aging process defeats us.

Sending prayers that there is more time. Gentle hugs being sent to Ruby. Hugs to you too.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

5. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

black_paws (01-07-2016)

Senior Dog
    I am facing the same thing with my 13 yr old. I have decided to make her as comfortable as possible and she will let me know when the time has come. Tears too.
    We once had a very wise old vet tell us that the best we could do was to be sure that the dog had the best of food and a warm dry comfortable place to sleep. If in pain an asprin. This advise has help us over many years. You just can't stop the hands of time no matter how hard you try. My thoughts are with you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Anna Scott For This Useful Post:

black_paws (01-07-2016)

It's not a simple decision at all and it sounds like you've given Ruby a great life so far. My lab lived to 12yrs 7mos and had Lar Par, arthritis, hind end weakness, etc. too. We did physical therapy (with swimming) until we couldn't do it anymore. He just couldn't handle it at the end. Once his appetite went, then that was a strong sign for me. Good luck to you and know that palliative care has come a long way in vet medicine. Prednisone may also buy some time if Ruby is not already on that.

Bob
    Griffin growing up!

Hidden Content

Griffin Male Black Lab 03/14/16 -

Yukon My Wonderful Yellow Lab 11/20/06 - 03/12/19 Will cherish the memories!!!!
    My Precious Tanner Boy 11/25/02 - 6/25/15 Will miss you always!!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to outrag For This Useful Post:

black_paws (01-07-2016)

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I have no doubt whatever you decide it will be the best thing for Ruby. There is so much love and sadness in your words, my heart aches for you.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

black_paws (01-07-2016)

Making the decision to help them pass with dignity is the hardest decision we as dog owners will ever have to make. I've done it more times than I care to think about, but I make a promise to each of my dogs. I promise them that when the time comes I won't make them suffer, and every dog I've sent over The Bridge let me know when it was time. It hurt to say goodbye, but I always knew I was doing the right thing.

I'm very sorry to see you have to go through this, and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

black_paws (01-07-2016)

Thank you all.
    The end is not imminent, but is a reality.
    Its funny tho how all her ailments disappear when food is present. Lol!
    She is limited with meds, no NSAIDS after a negative reaction to rimydal. She is on Gabapentin for pain management.
    We have reassured her that when the time comes she has family waiting for her, but I think watching the pending decline is gonna kill me. I'm that person that passes up activities to spend time with my girls.

Senior Dog
    Sympathies. I take Kimber for chiro/acupuncture once a month. A few months back, she seemed to be declining and the vet suggested we try the underwater treadmill again. We had tried it a few years back and Kimber hated it. She may have had a better experience this time around but it would be costly and one of those therapies you'd have to do very regularly to see any benefit. So I said no. But I still felt guilty because shouldn't I be willing to do anything for her?

Kimber's rallied and seems fine now, but this was a sneak preview of tough future decisions.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

black_paws (01-08-2016)

Sending good thoughts. I'm sure whatever your decision, it'll be the right one.
    Hidden Content

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Anonymous

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Halcyon For This Useful Post:

black_paws (01-08-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos