Best Friend Retriever

Rootin for California Chrome!

Anybody else watching the Belmont Stakes? Hopes & prayers for all the horses & jockeys to be safe!

I'm rooting for him!

Me, too!
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

us too

Best Friend Retriever
    OH, darn.....his owners looked so sad. I loved the story of how they got him...just seemed like he ran out of ooomph in the final stretch.....at least all the horses & jockeys seemed to come through safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mollysmomma View Post
    OH, darn.....his owners looked so sad. I loved the story of how they got him...just seemed like he ran out of ooomph in the final stretch.....at least all the horses & jockeys seemed to come through safe.
    One of the owners sounded like a poor loser afterward. He had a point about certain horses not being entered in the first 2 events and of course those horses were much fresher as a result. But nothing new about that. Owners have always been able to do it.

Best Friend Retriever
    I agree--sounded like "sour grapes..." He could've tried to be gracious, even though he was disappointed. I think I heard that California Chrome got a gash on his leg coming out of the chute, so that could have been bothering him, too.

Coburn is a jerk. He had all night to get over his tantrum and he went on Good Morning America today stiil full of p*ss and vinegar and continued to whine. What a d-bag.

"They hold out two (races) and then come back and run one," said Coburn. "That would be like me at 6-2 … playing basketball with a kid in a wheelchair. They haven't done anything with their horses in the Triple Crown … You figure IT out. You ask yourself, 'Would it be fair if I played basketball with a child in a wheel chair?"

Seriously, a child in a wheelchair analogy? How insensitive.

Here comes my two cents. I believe the ruling should be changed. Coburn was right to say that if you qualify for the Kentucky Derby, you run,all three of the races. I'm not trying to take away from the winner,but could he have beat CC if he had run all the races? I will say Coburn was wrong, he sounded like sour grapes. Horse racing is horse racing. Let's look at Secretariat. He was a freak with a double size heart. He loved to run. The faster the better. His best race was the Belmont. Blazing for home he left them in the dust--31 lengths ahead of the pack. Now that was a horse to be reckoned with. That is my two cents worth.
    Kathy--mom to:
    Mac--chocolate lab
    Scotty--Arabian gelding

No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses.
    (Herman Melville Redburn)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classiq For This Useful Post:

Dallas dawg (06-09-2014), Mollysmomma (06-09-2014)

I was so disappointed and not knowing much about horse racing I thought all those horses had competed in the other events. I only watched this for Chrome, so I can't really say I'll be invested enough to be in favor of having like a playoffs style order for who gets to go to the championship race. Go Chrome though still proud of that California boy!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos