Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The cost of training at PetSmart...

I was at PetSmart today picking up cat litter and, for the first time ever, stopped at the dog training area and looked at the pricing. OH MY GOD! Classes are MORE than at any dog training facility I have ever seen! I couldn't believe it. Private lessons are $80 (!!!) per hour and $45 (!!!) for 30 minutes! I think they charge as much, perhaps even more, than you'd pay for an appointment with a animal behaviorist at a major university.

This is insane. Why would anyone pay this much for a trainer who is only certified through "PetSmart University" (I looked at certifications and bios of the trainers while I was there)? (OK, I can see if PetSmart was the only gig in town, but I know that in my area, it is definitely NOT the only option. The area is fairly saturated when it comes to good pet obedience classes.)

Wow! I find it difficult to believe anyone would pay that if they just did a little research.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (01-11-2016)

It is pricey. I can get a one-on-one with a world class competitive obedience trainer for less per hour.

Live in a pricy area so that sounds about right for here. BUT, last time I checked, the 6 session group class at PetsMart was a little over $100.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Live in a pricy area so that sounds about right for here. BUT, last time I checked, the 6 session group class at PetsMart was a little over $100.
    All the six-week classes were $119 at my local store. Which is about in-line with the area, though higher than some classes with really great and experienced trainers. Based on the experience of one of these trainers (I know you can find a good one, but I'm guessing that is the exception, not the rule) I thought classes would be cheap, like $75 maybe. I was shocked!

Quote Originally Posted by dxboon View Post
    It is pricey. I can get a one-on-one with a world class competitive obedience trainer for less per hour.
    I know!!! The best trainers around here charge about $50/hr.

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    That is horrific.

If someone was to sign up for a class with my trainer, it's usually 6 weeks at less than 300 dollars. Each session is 2-3 hours long with 1 trainers and 2 assistants. Lot's of it is talking and asking questions and stuff but, certainly much much much more value.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    I know!!! The best trainers around here charge about $50/hr.
    That’s cheap! Privates with my AKC judge/OTCH handler trainer are $75 an hour, which is typical for the area. Classes are $150 for a six week session (discount for multiple classes) because the rent on their facility just went up. Much better instruction than Petsmart though!

Just checked (out of curiosity) and classes with a similar level of instruction a tiny bit north of us (so even more expensive) are $160, and south east of us (a bit cheaper area) are $140 so my facility is right in line with the area.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Just looked up the cost here- it's $119 for 6 classes at PetSmart vs. $80 for 6 classes at the trainer we've used. I know trainers in this area don't do a great job advertising so I'd guess the more casual dog owner would go for PetSmart. It might also be due to scheduling; PetSmart seems to offer a variety of class times, while my trainer has just the one time.

Oh, and my trainer charges $75/hour for individual lessons. Our agility instructor had similar fees.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

We spent about $119 at Petsmart (which seems to be the going rate). Our trainer was excellent. She really had a talent to relate to both us and Mocha. We were in the class with 2 other puppies (same family) and they didn't show up for 2 or 3 classes, so we essentially got private training. The other 2 puppies were Goldendoodles and it was interesting when the dad asked if one of them was "bred right" because it didn't look like the other (to me, one looked more like a Golden and the other looked more Poodle) and the trainer replied, "Goldendoodles are not a breed, they're an expensive mutt". He didn't like the answer, but it was funny

Our friends rescued a boxer and she has some aggression issues their other boxer (fights, blood, bites, cuts). They hired a behaviorist to come to their house for several sessions. It averaged less than $100 a visit.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos