Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar

Well this is different.

Sophie is 15.5 months old and she usually has a poop in the morning, after dinner, and sometimes before bed. Today, however, has been different...I'd guess that it's because there are so many distractions outside (snow, scraping noises of shovels, voices, etc.). This morning she took FOREVER to have her poop, though she eventually produced a small, soft one. She was inside all day while we were at work, and after dinner, 20 minutes outside and NO poop. Brought her back in for 10 mins and went back out for another stroll around the park - nothing. What the heck?? This is pretty unusual for her. Anyone else go through this low-grade anxiety when their dog doesn't poop?
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

Absolutely! Mine both go after breakfast and dinner. It is much less after a raw meal and it took me time to get used to that. Mine do like their privacy so distractions can cause delays.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

SoapySophie (01-12-2016)

LOL, you know the older they get the less frequent they become. Hemi was always twice a day and always first thing in the morning. At about age 2 it changed to twice a day then once a day, then twice a day then once a day. Now he is on about an 18 hours schedule. If he goes at night before bed, he will go at about noon or when I get home from work, which then the next day it will be morning or noon for sure and so on. Sometimes he still does a twice a day once in the morning and once at night before bed, if not and he goes in the morning he will for sure the next day.

What always amazes me is how much we keep track of the poop.

I've tried telling myself that if she had to go, she'd go, but...yes, we are strange.
    Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    did she go this morning? is she eating as normal? no vomiting?

the small soft poop and then nothing for 24 hours would bother me...although not as much as "squirts" and then nothing. I'd be wondering about obstruction.

Sunnie is a poop camel but her offerings are always good and solid so I just wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    What always amazes me is how much we keep track of the poop.
    You're just referring to the notes on the spreadsheet right? Not the carrying of slides, saline solution and a pocket microscope on every walk?
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

Jeff (01-13-2016), kimbersmom (01-14-2016), Maxx&Emma (01-13-2016), Scoutpout (01-13-2016)

Hah...Sue...

She did go last night on our last outing. Big one. Like a double serving. lol

She went this morning as well. No other signs or symptoms of trouble, so I just need to lighten up a little.
    Hidden Content

I'm always watching to make sure Mardi and Archie poop twice a day and they are pretty regular.

Sounds like she had just a little hiccup on her schedule. Hey, keeping track is important, one of the first indicators of a problem or at least to give a heads up.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Yes, you are absolutely right.
    Hidden Content

So many things besides food can upset their schedule (like us) that I take note but don't worry till it's gone on for more than a day, if not a couple of days. Or it's really extreme; which the OP would not be, for us.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos