Training against the odds

I am so exhausted. I've been at the hospital with mother for 16-18 hours/day for 3 days, brought her home last night, and was up with her much of the night. There seems to be no particular reason for her symptoms. I'm content that she had a major big-league work-up and there are not immediately urgent problems, just some maintenance issues that are bound to turn up on someone who is 91. So we're attending to those.

Am I just an awful, rotten person for wishing I could be working with my dog? Last Friday, I was so excited to be attending a CGC class with the two canine behaviorists who have started an enterprise here in town... but nope, I was riding in the ambulance to the ER with mom. I have reservations to go to an AKC HT Judging Seminar in February, and mom is frantic that I won't be there for her if she has a spell. So my brother is flying to California from Florida to be with her and assuage her fears.

I'm just so tired.

No. Especially if it is a stress reducer or something that makes you happy. No different than wishing you could stuff your face with comfort food or knit an afghan during times of stress. Sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she's feeling better soon.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (01-14-2016)

Being the caretaker is very strenuous and stressful work. For your own health, you need to take time off and decompress.

Is there a home health service who can help you when you want a couple of hours break, training the dogs, heck, going grocery shopping?
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

We're working on the home health deal. I guess we'll need a referral from the MD, then the nurse comes out and does an assessment. We'll see how it goes.

You with out a doubt need to take care of you while taking care of your mom. I hope all goes well with the home heath possibilities.

Hope you get some much needed rest soon.

Your Mom probably wishes you could be out with the dog too. It's a tough time, when parents age. The first six years of Oban's life were just health episodes with my Mum. When things were dire I was no good at training but walking the dog helped my mental outlook and ultimately my Mum benefitted. Sorry, it's a tough time.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos