Benelli is in bootcamp

Benelli who I rescued last November is now feeling a bit too comfortable he's also reaching maturity.

There has been about 3 times he was laying on the bed and growled once at the kitten and then snapped at him, once at my husband when my husband stretched and touched him with his foot and once at Gauge.

He's also starting to be pushy and bully Gauge outside. He gets so ampted up and then he will try and hump Gauge, he's always tried and I step in and don't allow it. The other night he tried it and Gauge corrected him which I'm fine with and he should correct him but then benelli went back at him and Gauge went back and there was a little squabble. It was just vocal but I stepped in BC it won't tolerate it plus I don't want it to esculate.

I contacted my behaviorist/trainer to help. She has another full time job and she texted me last night that she would get back to me today. Right now Benelli is on a 20ft leash outside that he drags around so I can have more control of him. We also went back to strict NILF training. He's not allowed on the bed or couches EVER he lost that privlage for good. He's actually been pretty good and I bought him a bed for the bedroom and he's been good at sleeping on it. I'm going out today to get one for the living room too.

I'm now making him wait at doors wait to eat earn attention ect ect. I've noticed he's a lot calmer in just 3 days. He's such a nice dog and very loving and he got over his crate anxiety and is good when nobody is home. I could never trust him without a crate he eats everything and anything.

There was a reason he came to me I don't think a lot of average pet owners would be able to handle him.

Oh Benelli. Sounds like he's being a turd. Good for you for jumping on it so quickly!

Thank goodness Benelli is under your care. Hate to think what would happen to him if he ended up in an AC and acted that way; he wouldn't have a prayer.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Glad you stepped in and Benelli is back in school so to speak. He might just need someone there to direct him even if he knows the rules like you have been doing so he knows exactly where his place is in the family and feels secure and safe.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos