Puppy

Puppy training - need advice

I have a 9 week old lab and he is sitting very well. I have been playing fetch in the hall way and he is doing very good! Can someone recommend a training dvd set that I can buy or give me a few training exercises to start on? I want to start him off right and not teach any bad habits. Thanks!!

Hi and welcome,

You posted this in the Hunting and Field Trials section. Will you be hunting with your dog or are you looking for basic obedience, not with a plan for hunting? Not that hunting doesn't start with basic obedience but you'll probably get mostly hunters looking at this thread and giving recommendations, which would be a good thing. If not planning on hunting, you might get more answers in the other puppy training area.

Puppy Training and Behaviour
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Iwould start with Jackie Merten's Sound Beginning DVD and then go to one of the other programmes such as Bill Hillman's or Evan Graham's. If you are seriously into field trial work then Mike Lardy's DVD's and articles are good. 'However I have never found that a DVD beats actually working with a really good pro. It is amazing how they can pick up on your bad habits and make you a better trainer.

I would suggest a good puppy k class to start with for socialization and the basics, regardless of what you plan to do with your puppy.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

No matter WHAT you want to do with your retriever, it's GOT to be built on a strong obedience foundation. And socialization. So what could be better than a puppy class?

That having been said, there are a few things that serious working retriever work involves that might be important as you bring your puppy along. That's why the DVD's that Anna mentioned are super. (I really liked Bill Hillmann's DVD's. And he has a website/blog where he posts a lot of tips so you can get a feel for how he does it and communicates it.)

Also... align yourself with a retriever club near you.

Best Friend Retriever soberbyker's Avatar
    I have a 4 month old black lab, not sure if I want him to be a bird dog or not. If I do, when is a good time to start in that direction?

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I have a 4 month old black lab, not sure if I want him to be a bird dog or not. If I do, when is a good time to start in that direction?

Once you have a good foundation of basic obedience, usually between 6 and 12 months.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

soberbyker (02-15-2016)

Barry is right. Obedience is everything. Without that you will never have a good working retriever. So you need to get rolling right now (if you haven't already) on some structured, serious obedience training. (Books, DVD's, puppy/obedience classes, and an association with your local retriever club.) However, you should also begin looking into the things that are involved in retriever field work. Some of the important, foundational gun dog training kinda gets incorporated in the training routine when the dog's adult teeth are in (around 6 months.) So you can see that now is the time to get into learning and training.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

soberbyker (02-15-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos