Another great Denise Fenzi seminar! (Who else do you recommend?)

Had another great Fenzi seminar this weekend. This time it was Saturday - Engagement and Play and Sunday - Heeling and Heeling Games. It was more of a teaching versus problem solving seminar. I was lucky enough to win a working spot in the lottery for today (heeling).

Biggest thing I got from it? I highly recommend that anyone who is training or thinking about training for competition obedience, pretend to be a dog in perfect heel position with a handler that is super skilled and works with large high-drive dogs. I've done it before with my trainer, and it was hard, but with Denise it was basically impossible. Sure makes me appreciate the journey I've been on with my dog! I could go on and on about this experience and the "aha moments!" I had.

Also, I feel extremely lucky to have such great trainers in my life. My dog went from obedient at a very young age and flat to driven and anything but flat. He now drives from behind, head up, ears up, eyes bright, tail wagging and bouncing along with a huge smile on his face. He's no longer afraid to make mistakes, he's gained so much confidence and you can feel and see the joy when he's working. He literally drags me into the ring wherever we go! He's definitely holding his own with the herding dogs now. I thought he'd be stressed as this was one of the bigger audiences and because he was in and out of his crate no less than 15 times. He got a little tired right before lunch, but after a lunch time power nap in the car with the windows partially down (nice and cool for him), he was ready to rock and roll again.

This is my third Fenzi seminar and working spot in about nine months. My trainer hosts her 3-4 times per year. I take her online classes as well and it's typically the same people that get working spots. I feel like I need to expand my horizons. The obedience clubs had Bridget Carlson out this Fall and I didn't go due to a scheduling conflict. Several people walked out of her seminar (including traditional trainers) and I don't think she'll be back for quite a while. We recently had Ward Falkner, but I didn't go to that one either because I didn't know much about him and his fees are really high. I went to one day of a John Rodgerson seminar and audited. I thought it was OK. Hannah Brannigan is coming in 2017 and I'll definitely at least audit that one. I'm surprised Janice Gunn doesn't hold seminars when she is in town as she shows locally a few times per year.

Anyone else you'd recommend looking into?

Just got a little snippet of one of our runs from a friend. Here's the link.

This one is where you are standing there waiting for the judge to tell you to move forward (that is why Denise is randomly chatting at us and I'm supposed to do my thing whenever -- not just when the judge stops talking) and you surprise your dog with a hand touch (build energy) and then run and the dog catches you. The result is a dog that is ready to go at any moment and an excellent first step from a halt.

He was getting pretty tired as well as mentally drained - it was right before lunch - so I opted to throw a cookie versus running and having him catch me. A cookie toss will always wake him up! Not only that but he is big and much faster than me, so it's not as exciting for him and doesn't create as much go.

Wow, he was so much fun to watch! I love seeing a dog that happy and engaged with their partner, it put a huge smile on my face!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    Wow, he was so much fun to watch! I love seeing a dog that happy and engaged with their partner, it put a huge smile on my face!
    Thanks! He is really a blast to work with.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (01-18-2016)

always good to hear positive feedback on her classes! I haven't tried one yet but plan to!

I should look for a class on dogs who go crazy while they wait their turn in class (think classes like flyball and agility). pen's a handful!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    always good to hear positive feedback on her classes! I haven't tried one yet but plan to!

I should look for a class on dogs who go crazy while they wait their turn in class (think classes like flyball and agility). pen's a handful!
    If you are ever in need of a review on a class, let me know. There are a large handful of us that take them and most of my dog friends are also involved in agility. Most of the problem solving seminars have focused on obedience (LOTS of heeling) with the occasional focus/engagement issue, so I don't recall hearing or seeing that issue addressed in person.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Tanya (01-19-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos