Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yowzer, The Price of Vegetables

Asparagus, enough for four meals, was $7.99. Enough swiss chard for four meals was $2.49 so I got it. But, the recipe I dug up on the internet for the swiss chard called for butter, olive oil, garlic, red onion, 1/4 cup of white wine and real parmesan cheese. And it called for a lot of washing, drying, chopping and attention while sauteeing. Despite having no white wine and only cheap Kraft parmesan it was very good. But in terms of money and energy I think the swiss chard ended up being the more expensive alternative.

Vegetables out of the world expensive where you are too?
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Vegs are expensive everywhere due to the water shortages in the areas where they are grown. I was reading an article where rice growers in Northern Cal. where selling their water rites to growers in Southern Cal. They could get more for their water than growing the rice!

There is now a secondary market for water which has become the new 'Clear Gold' as in Black Gold (OIL).
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

It's not just water. I'm reading there is a shortage of bees to pollinate crops. And in our area a big market farming region has had no shortage of water but the extended warm fall meant they had to pay for cold storage almost into winter and passed the cost on to consumers.
    Hidden Content

Was just at Walmart and the prices were insane. I usually go to the commissary but even there prices have gone up on fresh products. I agree about the water shortage and lack of bees. Since I went on the 0 fat diet, which has been modified lately and am consuming some fat, our grocery bill has gone up.

Then there is the notice yesterday that some Dole fresh products, lettuce products, as being pulled because of possible contamination with listeria.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I have been buying frozen veg for 99 cents a pound. Not as good but there you are.

$2.50 for Swiss chard for four meals is outrageous. Here, that would be possibly enough for one meal. For my family, we would usually eat two bunches of chard as one meal side dish, which would be closer to $5.00. Our family only eats fresh vegetables, so... yeah, it's expensive.

Still, the regional price disparities are pretty significant, aren't they?
    Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

(I should note that we are three people, and huge veg eaters. How much chard does $2.50 buy there?)

Quote Originally Posted by Abulafia View Post
    (I should note that we are three people, and huge veg eaters. How much chard does $2.50 buy there?)
    I didn't weigh it so, how to describe the amount? I could easily put my hand around the stems. By four meals I mean enough for sides of it for me and the OH at two meals. Once chopped,stems and leaves, it made a big mound in my 12" frying pan and was tricky to stir and flip during the sauteeing without flipping it right out. Oban got a few pieces anyway. Next time I will weigh so we can know for sure.

I bought turnip too, another one that was less expensive than most. I like turnip but it's so hard to peel and cut.
    Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (01-24-2016)

Senior Dog
    I like to buy in season from the local farmers ( we have an organic one just up the road). At this time of year we eat the winter veggies such a turnip, sweet potatoes and squash The greens are usually frozen (did asparagus this past season). I like spinach so I eat a lot of it. I also buy chard and when I can find it mixed greens chopped (spinach,chard, kale and beet tops) but my husband doesn't like it. I finally found out why he won't eat his green veggies. It is because his mother won't! Part of the reason we go to frozen at this time of year is that I will not eat anything imported from Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    I didn't weigh it so, how to describe the amount? I could easily put my hand around the stems. By four meals I mean enough for sides of it for me and the OH at two meals. Once chopped,stems and leaves, it made a big mound in my 12" frying pan and was tricky to stir and flip during the sauteeing without flipping it right out. Oban got a few pieces anyway. Next time I will weigh so we can know for sure.
    Ok, sounds like a typical "bunch" of chard. That would last us (two adults, one child) one meal... we easily go through twice that (but save the money on meat, I guess!).

We mainly buy in-season, and so eat more kale and collards in the winter. But because we eat so much leafy greens, we switch it up at times and will buy chard even now.

I admit that I have never been able to stand turnips. I didn't grow up eating them, and they have a very unpleasant association in my mind.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos