Playpen for Puppies

After taking advice from members here I went out on a search and finally ended up with a Play Pen from Tractor Supply. I did go to several baby stores, Wally world, etc and all of them were too small and bulky. After having looked at Tractor Supplies website I decided to drive out and see for myself.

After speaking with a very helpful sale s woman (dog owner) I cam home with this.

MidWest Homes for Pets Journey Exercise Pen, 36 in. H - Tractor Supply Co. $69.99

Here we are at home and Romeo has moved right in.

-20140518_162650-jpg

-20140518_162701-jpg

We also use a Midwest crate that we house him at night. When Romeo gets a little bigger I plan on moving it back into the foyer and when needed connecting this barrier to it. Using the supplied latches and some medium sized office clips it holds securely. This way he will have his crate for sleeping (with a gallon water bottle) and a play pen to get around in.

Using this play pen is a first and we have seen some serious benefits already. It keeps him out of trouble! is the big one. Leaving it where he can see us and our other dog keeps his anxiety way down along with a pillow and toys. Food training with another dog is simplified where he is in the same area as the other dog but is kept in his pen to eat his own food with no wandering.

It is light weight and ultra portable where my small wife can easily operate it, fold it up and transport it. It comes with stakes if you want to stake to the ground outside and I think you can order extra panels but they did not have those in the store. The door works surprisingly well and latches exactly like their crate we have. Keeping a large pillow inside keeps him from scooting the pen to far out of shape to make it collapse or run off with it and so far so good. I choose the 36" tall pen as it will remain tall enough for him until 6 months of age but he may be too heavy by then, we'll see. Being a tall man I can reach over the top to grab a toy or place him down in but I wouldn't recommend this unless you are 6'4" and beyond.

This is not meant for permanent use, large dogs or multiple dogs by any stretch. I've owned MANY dogs from 8 weeks on and wanted something where I was not chasing him all over for over watching. Couldn't stand locking him in a crate for "time out" breaks as that always turned into eruptions of whaling. Its not cute or pretty and it isn't supposed to be but it does work. One benefit to this design is that the one gallon water bottle we have will work on the wire pen. If need be on can be hung and used very easily (link below of the one we have). The construction is good but Chinese made so expect some slag/flash from welding that may/or may not need a little filing to clean up (I did). Sorry but I did not weigh it or remember to look on the box as to how much but it was one of the criteria for purchase. When home and assembled I had my wife fold it up and then pick it up to see what she thought. Good to go and plenty light enough for her to maneuver. There's nothing to assemble for exception of these weird little panel braces if you want to use them. They are for straightening out two panels but were unnecessarily difficult to use and were thrown away. There are four "latches" that are smallish leash style clasps that are for joining two ends together. I missed them the first time out as they are coated the same color of the wire and blended in _ duh! That's how I figured out that the black metal office binders hold it together very firmly were the dog cannot get them undone.

* Water bottle on the crate - LM Animal Farms Wide Mouth Water Bottle, 64 oz. - Tractor Supply Co.

I hope this helps.

-20140527_231309-jpg

ETA: The funny part is that the name plate on the product is "Retriever" ha!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo For This Useful Post:

barry581 (06-08-2014)

Such a cute baby--I want to rub his belly!
    I like ex-pens, too. As he grows a bit, in a few weeks, you may wish to add an eyebolt or two to a stud to keep him from walking it around the house, scraping the floor or tipping it over. Then use a double ended clip from the eyebolts to the pen to keep it in place. I had a dog sitter who actually had it installed for her terrier but didn't want to do it for my rescue 6 mo old. Guess who pushed the pen over and chewed her window treatments and other items, spilling his water in the process?

My favorites are the Rover Enclosures,

Pet Enclosures | Rover Company

Some adolescent Lab pups open them as they get bigger. Folks adapt the doors, often with collars to reinforce them. The company may have some other ideas or latches. We also use them for tall or wide gates sometimes. I prefer them for Cavalier pups, as they don't get their jaws caught on the bars and they don't climb them. We have a nearly 10 year old heart clear Cavalier who is registered as "L. Lucky Break" because after he was picked to be an agility dog, he broke his leg climbing the ex pen to get to his mama. The pen flexed, and he had a greenstick fracture. The vets could not be sure it was not through the growth plate, so I ran him on and the agility home got the other boy. That was indeed my lucky break--he is devoted to me, and I am happy to have his grandaughter. He bosses around Labs, playing tug of war with rescued pups.

Enjoy your pup. He looks comfy in his new digs.

Good move! That's what I used when I raised my Labrador and it worked great. Even as an adolescent or adult, it came in handy when she needed a "Time Out" to just settle down and chill out. It is portable enough to be easily transported from room to room, and it gives them plenty of room to stretch out, move around and be comfortable. I'd put it in the livingroom when we had company and if Tilley was being a pest, she'd go in the x-pen to give everyone a break, so she would not be isolated to another room or cramped in a crate somewhere. Being the social butterfly that she is, she could enjoy all the socializing without having to be in everyone's face. I've also used mine as a baby gate barrier and to put visiting dogs in when they came over and needed time to become comfortable with my dogs. It has been well worth the investment.

Senior Dog
    Love those. Have two for my rabbits. Will be using them for the pup as well.

Romeo seems very comfortable in his.

KAZ

House Broken
    X-pens are great. I used them for shows mainly.

I think they are convenient and a good idea for short naps or when you are busy, like making dinner, but when pups are up I would rather they were learning the rules and underfoot. I look at every moment as an opportunity for the pup to learn something new. Just keep in mind he won't be actually learning the rules of your house while he is in the x-pen.

I'm not understanding why an 8 week old pup would be anxious? Do you mean that when he was in his crate he was crying? That isn't anxious, just the pup protesting being in the crate.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauranj For This Useful Post:

Tanya (06-10-2014)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauranj View Post
    X-pens are great. I used them for shows mainly.

I think they are convenient and a good idea for short naps or when you are busy, like making dinner, but when pups are up I would rather they were learning the rules and underfoot. I look at every moment as an opportunity for the pup to learn something new. Just keep in mind he won't be actually learning the rules of your house while he is in the x-pen.

I'm not understanding why an 8 week old pup would be anxious? Do you mean that when he was in his crate he was crying? That isn't anxious, just the pup protesting being in the crate.
    Understand that a pup has to get to know the routine, but having a safe place, other than his crate, wouldn't that be a good thing to have? I see a crate for a new pup as a place where they sleep, take naps. With an ex-pen, setting it up in the living room, close to say my rabbits, would then give him time to explore their scent, plus keep pup safe? Maybe a big space could overwhelm a pup? Don't want to use the crate, because you are trying to associate it as a place for naps and bedtime, so use a crate, making a smaller space in a big space so your pup won't be as anxious? Don't pups get a bit anxious when they are overwhelmed? And not just because they don't want to get inside a crate?

KAZ

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    Understand that a pup has to get to know the routine, but having a safe place, other than his crate, wouldn't that be a good thing to have? I see a crate for a new pup as a place where they sleep, take naps. With an ex-pen, setting it up in the living room, close to say my rabbits, would then give him time to explore their scent, plus keep pup safe? Maybe a big space could overwhelm a pup? Don't want to use the crate, because you are trying to associate it as a place for naps and bedtime, so use a crate, making a smaller space in a big space so your pup won't be as anxious? Don't pups get a bit anxious when they are overwhelmed? And not just because they don't want to get inside a crate?

KAZ
    I have never considered a puppy to be anxious when they are protesting crate time. I do agree, they are great for limited use but I also prefer to keep puppy involved and learning. Most Lab puppies will jump over/knock over ex-pens by the time they are 4 months old so they don't have much life for containment while unsupervised, for young puppies. (At least in my experience.) They can be very handy for surgical rest of an older/trained dog and I see them at dog shows.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    I have never considered a puppy to be anxious when they are protesting crate time. I do agree, they are great for limited use but I also prefer to keep puppy involved and learning. Most Lab puppies will jump over/knock over ex-pens by the time they are 4 months old so they don't have much life for containment while unsupervised, for young puppies. (At least in my experience.) They can be very handy for surgical rest of an older/trained dog and I see them at dog shows.
    Thanks for your explanation. I don't plan to have my pup in an ex-pen at 4 months old. 8 weeks yes, as this will help me broaden his horizons slowly. With contact of the bunnies. Use what have you have, best thing to do. I don't want my rabbits approaching a brand new pup in his crate. The crate is his, not the bunnies. Just like the bunnies crates are not the pups. Got to start somewhere and need to heavily supervise until I feel at ease. Ex-pen will be utilized. The bunny run will be utilized for the pup until he gets to know his yard. Slowly showing him his world. Makes of an unanxious, happy and content pup and rabbits and people.

Nothing's perfect, but it's my plan. Thanks for your insight.

KAZ

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos