Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Mia and my finances cats

Okay so I bring my dog down from New Jersey to Florida after a month the cats are still hissing and batting at her. Mia would never attack them but she stand her ground after they do it to her all day I just don't like how she's always walking around the condo like she has to step on eggshells can anyone help because I do not want to get rid of my fiancée's cats. Before I met my fiance she had a pit bull that she rescued and as soon as she brought the pit bull into the house the pit ran after the cats so I don't know if they will ever accept mia because of that. The one cat Nicki like searches for Mia to f*** with her.

When introducing new animals to cats, it is best if there is a closed door in between them for days. You can try making sure the cats have a safe area that is a no dog zone and vice versa. Also, try wiping them all with the same scented, pet safe baby wipes so that Mia smells "right" to them. If Mia has a wire crate, make sure the top is covered so cats can't swing at her. It takes a while.

Interesting the assumption that the cats would be the ones to go. Is your fiancee on board with that?

Wish I had an answer for you, I'm pretty severely allergic to cats so haven't had to deal with that. Hope things settle down.

What have you tried? Separation? Training?

Hi we have a dog savvy cat named Gracie. The dogs are always interested when she enters the room but they are on a 'leave it'. I've not had the opposite experience where the dog is terrorized by the cat. I would try the scent suggestion. I also have the cat in a room where there is a gate between the 'species' so both have 'safe' places. And that's the way they were introduced. Not sure if it's too late to create separate space but we did gradual introductions. Make sure your dog has a place to escape them.

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    Interesting the assumption that the cats would be the ones to go. Is your fiancee on board with that?

Wish I had an answer for you, I'm pretty severely allergic to cats so haven't had to deal with that. Hope things settle down.
    I would never get rid of the cats but I am worried when our baby is born will that cats do the same to my child ? We have had our friends kids over that are between 1 and 3 and they try playing with the cats and the one doesn't have patience

Puppy
    I really just hate seeing my dog scared to walk in its own house

Puppy
    When my fiance tries to get in the middle of her cat and our dog if she tries picking Nikki up Nikki attacks my fiance its just all weird to me

LOL, yes I noticed the assumption it would be the cats who would have to go, not the dog. And if I'm reading correctly the cats were there first. You know, if your fiance was posting this somewhere I can just bet she'd be told there's a third option for who has to be gotten rid of.

So it's only a month that Mia has been in Florida with the cats? Mia sounds like a remarkably tolerant and maybe a submissive sort of girl. More often I think the cats hide. Mine did when we had the nerve to bring a hooligan puppy home after they'd enjoyed years of content with the previous dog. Two of ours would give the puppy a swat when forced to, the other hid for a year. So sorry, but it can take some time for them to adjust to each other.

I have some things you can try but my puppy was the problem, not the cats. Still, these things might help each regard the other in a new light. I took pains to address, pet, feed the cats first. They were there first and I wanted to reassure them they were not being replaced. I think this might have impressed the puppy more than the cats and maybe did the most for me.

I offered treats when all were together to show that good things happened when the other was around.

And the one that impressed the puppy most was in using the cats in training the puppy. Puppy SIT, too slow, cat gets a treat, puppy doesn't. This had a marvelous effect on the training and really changed how the puppy regarded the cats. YOu situation is sort of backwards but if it was me I'd try anyway. Even if Mia is well trained, or perhaps because she is, if she is, seeing her sit and let the cats get their own treat might go a long ways to changing their view of her.

Good luck. In the meantime, I'd keep the cats' claws as short as I could.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mia4207 View Post
    When my fiance tries to get in the middle of her cat and our dog if she tries picking Nikki up Nikki attacks my fiance its just all weird to me
    You were posting the same time as me. This is called redirected aggression and is fairly common with cats. Dogs too, in a fight, might bite you if you try to intervene. Your fiance should try to distract the cat another way. If the cat is being an unfair aggressor I would stomp my feet on the floor and shush it away. I definitely will not try to pick up one of my own cats, even, if it is acting mean to another or acting frightened.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos