Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Once The Dishwasher is Done

Recently posted a picture of Archie doing the prewash.

Now there's a problem. He comes running when I'm ready to unload the dishwasher. I have to stop him for checking to make sure everything is clean.

How do you handle this?

Dixie does the same thing. I just end up alternating between putting dishes away and chasing her out of the kitchen.

I missed the pre-wash photo apparently. I have the same problem with Lark, Chase has given up on that little trick. I would like to say I have trained her to stop licking the clean dishes, but I have not. Sometimes I can distract her with some other tasty item, but usually i chase her away and try to block her physically while I take out the full silverware holder and put it on the counter, then empty the bottom rack first. If she's managed to lick anything, I try to make sure my husband gets those dishes.

(Actually, since it's usually only one or two items that get licked before I catch her, I just leave them in the dishwasher for the next washing.)
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

How about doing it when he's not around, like bed time?

That is a real problem. Don't know what to suggest. My Charlie is only interested in the dirty dishes. Shows no interest when they're clean.

Best Friend Retriever Polly Pipkin's Avatar
    We hand wash all our plates, so I don't have this problem. (I use our dishwasher for extra storage!)

I'd teach him to lay down outside of the kitchen when you are busy in there, or a baby gate?

. . . sensing a theme here, lol!
    Last edited by Polly Pipkin; 06-08-2014 at 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    Hidden Content Katy & Polly

Hidden Content

Duchess Jan. 31, 2000 - Dec. 18, 2011, Always in our hearts

Now there's a good idea, training down stay to last longer than a few seconds.

Wylie use to stand over the dishwasher when loading/unloading dishes. He would sniff the dishes and silverware all the time. Not a problem now. Want to know why? One day he was sniffing the silverware on the side and his collar got caught on one of the pieces of silverware and he got nervous because he was stuck and took off towards the Dining room with the bottom tray of dishes and silverware from the dishwasher in tow. That made a loud noise, no dishes were broke(lucky I had most of the dishes out and silverware was pretty much all that was left), but he was freaked by it. I removed the bottom tray from his collar and he went to my room. Now when we load/unload the dishwasher, he leaves and goes to my bedroom. So he solved the problem himself. LOL.
    Hidden Content

Andy
    Hidden Content
    Wylie 2/20/13

Rainbow Bridge Maya 2003-2013

"Leave it."

"Sit." "Stay." Long pause. My husband (who does the dishes and unloads the dishwasher) to me: "Could you take them to the living room?"

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos