Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Constant barking!

My six month old pup barks constantly. He barks when he has to go out (yah!), but he also barks at the other dogs when he wants to play, if he is hungry, if he is bored. Sometimes he just lays down and barks and whines. He goes for a 45 minute walk every day plus playing ball in the backyard and playing with the other dogs. He has been noisy since we brought him home from the pound at 10 weeks old.
    I would love any ideas or tips on getting him to be a bit quieter. I have tried spraying him with a spray bottle (worked on my hound) but when he sees the bottle he comes running up so I can spray the water in his mouth. I can't use a can full of beans or coins because loud noises frighten my hound dog so much that I won't be able to get her out of the bedroom for hours. I need something that will work for my pup but not affect the other three.

When I have had a troubled dog that was difficult to train I used an ecollar. I would recommend getting a bark ecollar to get it under control. Some folks don't like them but when it comes to some dogs they are a valuable training tool.

Thanks. I was wondering about e collars but I wasn't sure if 6 months was to young to start using one.

Please don't use an e-collar to get your dog to stop barking. Your dog needs training, strapping an e-collar and zapping him when he barks is not the solution, you can really screw a dog up that way and I do use e collars with my two but I use them for reinforcing recall.

When training my dogs not to bark I gently but firmly grab them by the snout and give them a sharp NO, QUIET! When they are quiet I praise with a very happy Good quiet! This takes patience and consistency.

I trained my miniature dachshund to be quiet using this method and doxies are one of the most vocal and yappy breeds.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

Sue (06-09-2014)

I had no intention of getting an e-collar and just zapping away when he barks. I was thinking of the vibration collars just to use at the lowest setting to get his attention. So he can be reprimanded. I have tried your method but it requires you to be close to the dog. Most of the time he stars running and barking thinking he has invented a new game.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
    I had no intention of getting an e-collar and just zapping away when he barks. I was thinking of the vibration collars just to use at the lowest setting to get his attention. So he can be reprimanded. I have tried your method but it requires you to be close to the dog. Most of the time he stars running and barking thinking he has invented a new game.
    And what do you plan to do when the dog isn't wearing the collar? I bet he'll become wise to the collar.

Best Friend Retriever Polly Pipkin's Avatar
    If he's barking for attention, you can clap your hands, get up and leave the room - he'll probably follow. When he's quiet, lots of praise. You can surprise him by praising him when he is quiet, not just when he's finished barking too.

It sounds like he's bored, so some mental stimulation, like puzzles with treats inside and teaching him new tricks will tire him out and get him focussed on you, all good for stopping barking. Does he go to obedience classes? Young pups need a lot of training and homework to practice on.

If he barks at the window, try and barricade it so he can't see out. He sounds smart if he opens his mouth for the water bottle!

I wouldn't use an e-collar myself.
    Hidden Content Katy & Polly

Hidden Content

Duchess Jan. 31, 2000 - Dec. 18, 2011, Always in our hearts

Senior Dog
    Maybe an e-collar can help as a tool for you when he's outside. As you say, what's been recommended is basically when you are close to the dog. You can always work with him inside and use the e-collar when he's outside. Sounds like he learned that response from being in the pound as the dogs around them bark at everything. Maybe a vibration once or twice will have him get the idea.

KAZ

A few things to consider before you buy and e-collar:

- are you open to working with a trainer? A few sessions would cost you less than an e-collar (a good one) They can give you tips on how to manage the barking.
    - the above would be my number one recommendation. But another thought is a citronella collar. It sprays citronella and works based on the dog barking so you don't have to "click the button on time"
    - How much mental stimulation doe she get? Did you try some food toys that make him work for his food, and daily training session?
    - A 45 minute leashed walk is great but doesn't tire out a dog that age. how much fetching do you play over a day? Does he get special outings, play dates? Is fetching the only "play" he gets?

The biggest issue with an e-collar you control is timing. It SOUNDS like it's an easy thing but good timing is hard. And when you don't have VERY good timing, you confuse the dog. Big time. The dog may also not understand what's going on or what they are doing wrong. This is how e-collar training goes badly fast.

You can train bark on command then you can train to stop barking on command. Keep it fun and light.
    Last edited by Tanya; 06-09-2014 at 01:19 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Sue (06-09-2014)

I know someone who had a bark collar on their dog for years but she just barked anyway and didn't care about getting shocked. She was a labradoodle and just more high strung than other dogs. I would recommend attempting more consistent training and giving the pup more off leash play time. Also dogs need mental stimulation as well as physical exercise. Join a training class and start doing some training exercises at home as well. I would only use the bark collar Or ecollar as a last resort. And it may not even work. I also wouldn't want to punish my dog for barking- You don't want them to think barking is bad- they just need to learn that being quiet after you tell them to be quiet is good. Have you tried positive training and treats? Mine will bark and I will pretend to check out the noise out the window- then I will say okay quiet. And when she is quiet I give her treats. You have a 6 month old - any training you have done for barking is just the beginning. Just be patient and keep working at it.
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos