Kudos to my agility teacher!

OK... this post is somewhat about hunt test skills. But the method I used to address the problem was from my agility instructor.

Check out this dog's line manners: Willhe - Labrador Retriever training for HRC Hunt Test - YouTube

This is an illustration of front-ending (or creeping). The handler in the video was doing some sort of public demo and this would not have been the time to deal with it. So I'm not trying to be critical of him. But clearly this dog is a terrible creeper. JUST LIKE ROCKET DOG!!!

What is supposed to happen is the dog remains right at the handlers side (front toes at the handler's toes, or shoulders lined up directly beside the side seam of his/her jeans. The dog pivots and moves with the handler.

There is a simple drill we use to teach this pivoting skill called the wagon wheel. https://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/rj09.html I have always failed when I've tried this drill with RD because of her terrible creeping.

My agility instructor said to get 4 foot lengths of plastic rain gutters from Home depot. Put them in a 4 points of the compass configuration with space for only me in the middle. This forces RD to keep her toes right beside mine.

Whoa Nellie! Wow! Did this ever work! That and going really, really slowly and not letting RD set the pace. After doing it with the gutters I put them away and did it on naked grass and it was remarkable.

So cross-over training, I think is paying off. To badly paraphrase Proverbs 11:14 "Where there is no counsel the [handler's DQ] but in the multitude of counsellors there is [success]

The box is terribly helpful! Often used in fronts, finishes and teaching a drop without forward movement. You have to continue using it and gain muscle memory and understanding of what you are asking for (many dogs are not even aware they are creeping) before there are long-term fixes though. You can also use PVC piping with couplers or small cement blocks if your dog pushes the PVC (for example if you work on carpet, tile, hardwood, etc.).

Thanks. The gutter material (all 20 feet of it) cost me 8$. So I think it's paid for itself already. We will absolutely keep working it.

Edit: Wow. Even with the dog-bowl drill she needed no reminder to line her toes up with mine.

(I know it ain't cured, but sure is helping the symptoms.)
    Last edited by TuMicks; 01-26-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TuMicks View Post
    Thanks. The gutter material (all 20 feet of it) cost me 8$. So I think it's paid for itself already. We will absolutely keep working it.

Edit: Wow. Even with the dog-bowl drill she needed no reminder to line her toes up with mine.

(I know it ain't cured, but sure is helping the symptoms.)
    Yep, platforms are excellent, too! You can also use a phone book wrapped in duct tape! Great for pivots and dogs love this game.

You know what works great??? Horse feeders, these thick, heavy round rubber things that are about 6 -8 inches deep.

Senior Dog
    You know what works great??? Horse feeders, these thick, heavy round rubber things that are about 6 -8 inches deep.
    LOL ... I was just working with the puppies on one of those earlier today!
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Horse feeders are what my trainer used to teach stay because being on or off the platform was very obvious to a dog
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

Sam broke through one of those once. Poor chubby puppy.

I always used the phone book for Linus and it has worked well.

He tries to go on the edges of cones, flat rocks, stools and the other day, one of those sled things that kids sit in and go down hills (saucer?). He puts his front feet on them and stares at me while he wags his tail. It's a favorite "game".

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos