CGC... the deadline approaches.

Wow, the people who put on this CGC class have been so patient with me. I have had to miss classes due to my mother's illness. So they crammed the last two of them back to back. That is, the last class will be on a Friday and we'll test on Saturday.

I have this week to practice. Then fly to Portland for the weekend for an AKC Judging seminar, then come back and have 4 more days to practice, the final class and then... SHOWTIME!!!

The instructor has had me work on getting eye contact and getting her to slow down and pay attention to me. Conceptually this has been difficult for ME, not so much for the dog. The only time eye contact is a big deal in Field work is when I've stopped her on a whistle and am about to handle her. (Then it's a very big deal, indeed... and usually many, many yards separate us.) But in close (on the line), it's always been about our relative body position and movement.

Well, something is working. She actually managed to SIT and get petted by strangers at PetSmart today. It wasn't perfect, she was wiggly as all get out. However, her butt stayed put on the ground. There was even a rude little dog getting in her face at one point, and RD did not react immediately to it. Because the other folks weren't reeling the little thing back in, I did move between the two of them, and RD relaxed pretty quickly.

So, we just have to put in the time and keep at it. If we don't get it this time, I'm up for trying again later on.

May all go well. You have a good attitude!

WTG! You two have been working hard and it is paying off.

Only suggestion I have is to relax during the test. It really does help.

Sending mojo that all goes well, and I know it will.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

4. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (02-01-2016)

Went to PetSmart again. She is still keeping her butt on the ground for a (very wiggly) greeting. She did not react to a dog who was heeling by. That's good.

But I am so nervous about the strange dog situation. I think we could get through the CGC test, but honestly, it's not just the title, per se... I want her to actually BE a canine good citizen. I am going to consult the behaviorist again prior to our next class and see if she would help me work with her and some other dogs in a controlled setting.

Rocket Dog was more distracted today. I figured out why when we got home. She fell into a light coma almost immediately. Then I remembered, hubby took the dogs up for a big run through the deep snow this morning. Poor thing.

i;m sure all your hard work with her is paying off, with her actually becoming what the Title will say she is!
    This is one i still haven't attempted with the brat. it would be 50/50, he gets so HAPPY to see humans! he's sooooooooo much improved about ignoring other dogs now (to the point i almost don't think about it constantly anymore....almost....) but the humans, well, he knows sit means keep his butt planted until told otherwise, but it is just too much for him sometimes...
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

You'll do fine if you remember to give your Leave Its at appropriate times. Be firm (and the confident leader) she knows the drill.....
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos