Family members working together?

We are doing some work for a group that is headed up by two family members. Basically, we are getting them up to snuff on an industry standard. The one who recruited us over a year ago recently signed a contract for a client for a huge project based in part on being in line with that industry standard. It is required for the contract. We have another year's worth of work to get them in line.

Last week, the other family member announced that he wasn't going to do it. Meanwhile, they have spent a significant amount of money on us and are committed to their client to do this.

What happens here? Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Does the company split up? Do they figure it out? They were on the verge of bankruptcy recently and now they have a chance. What would the point of sabotaging the whole thing be?

I think the key word here is "family", as in, "You're not the boss of me!" I'm sure there are many ways this could end up but I'd probably go slow until you can determine whether you're going to be paid for whatever work you do going forward.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

janedoe (02-02-2016)

Tough situation. Hopefully, they can take advice that if they want to save the company they can put aside their differences during work time.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

5. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

janedoe (02-02-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    I think the key word here is "family", as in, "You're not the boss of me!" I'm sure there are many ways this could end up but I'd probably go slow until you can determine whether you're going to be paid for whatever work you do going forward.
    They're consistently late but they do pay in drips and drabs. They are definitely our last priority.

That's a good point about family. I was really in shock but he can't be fired which is what should happen here. Their liability with their client is just tremendous.

Hopefully they have some sort of written agreement that addresses this sort of thing. Unfortunately, that's usually not the case and these messes can be a nightmare to untangle. I think it's smart to keep that as last priority for the time being.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

janedoe (02-02-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos