Thread: puppy food

Question puppy food

Brought Maggie home at 8 weeks feeding puppy chow as this is what the breeder had her on. I Feed 1 cup three times a day. She will be 10 weeks old on Tues, June 10th. How long should I keep her on puppy chow before switching to another puppy food? And do I do half and half when I start doing it? Also any suggestions on what food to switch her to would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wow I really thought I would have some replies on this. As I heard this is a place to come for help.

Quote Originally Posted by janika28 View Post
    Wow I really thought I would have some replies on this. As I heard this is a place to come for help.
    This is a really great place to come for help. The weekends tend to be slow, especially Sunday evenings. I am sure you'll get replies soon.

Keep her on the breeder's food for 1-2 large bags. To transition you do 25% new 75% old, then half and half, then 75 new 25 old until you are ready for 100% new food. Watch the stools to indicate when you are ready to move on. I would give it at least a few days at each stage.

Since you are feeding purina, if you are happy with that then I would suggest Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20. Otherwise you could start doing your research now for a food that you like.

I have used NutriSource and Nature's Logic and have been pleased with those. Burton came home on PP Sport and did well on that. My cat eats Fromm and does well on that.

Both of my dogs are fed raw.
    Charlie and Burton

4. The Following User Says Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

janika28 (06-09-2014)

I think you could comfortably transition away from the Puppy Chow after 1 bag. Personally I would be eager to be feeding a different food. The above post on the percentages of old to new food for transitioning are good.

There are so many brands and formulas available. NutriSource and Fromm are both very reliable companies. It's wise to look for food that is not less than 26% protein and 16% fat for a lab puppy. Also, kibbles with a maximum of 1.5% calcium can be helpful in ensuring steady even growth.

Would love to see some photos of Maggie.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyLuna For This Useful Post:

janika28 (06-10-2014)

I would think 1 bag with appropriate transition to the food of your choosing would be fine

8. The Following User Says Thank You to petitesalmon For This Useful Post:

janika28 (06-10-2014)

Here is a pic of Maggie. 8 weeks here.

Can also see your sig pic here. Very cute.
    Charlie and Burton

11. The Following User Says Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

janika28 (06-10-2014)

I did a cold turkey switch of foods on chili when I got him at 8 weeks. My reason was because the breeders food wasnt available where I lived. From all the internet reading I have done, I have to say that 95% of all the forum posters recommend keeping the 8 week pup on what the breeder was feeding them. I wouldnt change til they are done teething myself, but Chili has had many different brands/never same brand twice and is fine.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

13. The Following User Says Thank You to voodoo For This Useful Post:

janika28 (06-10-2014)

Senior Dog
    Your Maggie is precious. Don't know what food you want to switch to, but did find this regarding how to switch. Maybe this could help?

Changing Dog Food Is A Slow Process | CanineJournal.com

Slow and steady, and BIG TIME observe how your pup takes the new food.

KAZ

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ZRabbits For This Useful Post:

janika28 (06-10-2014)

I raised Sam on Pro Plan Focus large breed puppy. He did great on it so I had no reason to try anything different. He's 18 months now and I still feed Pro Plan. I guess I would see how the puppy is doing before I switch. I always fed my dogs fancy holistic kibble and Sam was the first I raised on Pro Plan. Very happy with it and Sam gives it two paws up!
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos