Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It's not the dog... it's ME.

In the on-going saga of my "aggressive" dog that "attacks" other dogs. (Only never injuring any of them... just brushing them back.)

So, what the heck... I left Rocket Dog with the behaviorists today to have them do an in depth assessment to figure out the seriousness of the situation. They exposed her to a whole slew of very reactive dogs (pit bulls, a snippy little sheltie, a bull-dog and one Weimer.) Rocket Dog just looked at them and shrugged. Couldn't care less. She had NO problem with any of them. BORING!!! (She really liked the deep tissue massage they gave her. They have quite the full service operation. Next she'll want the facial and pedicure.)

So the behaviorist is having me come in with her tomorrow because clearly, now... it's something that I'm doing. Which is good news. Not a neurotic dog. Just a neurotic owner.

I actually have a feeling if I learn to relax, I'll be a better handler on the line at HT's, not just in public at large.

The owner sure does have an influence! May I suggest a nice bottle of booze for you? LOL
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

Meeps83 (02-04-2016)

It certainly could be a factor. I thought that Archie was reactive to small dogs but when his trainer exposed him to any number of tiny dogs, he could have cared less. It seems it was only the yippy, snappy, run into his face dog from next door that set him off. That problem was solved when the poor little neurotic thing passed.

If you take Windycanyon's suggestion, be sure to take a cab home.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

5. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (02-05-2016)

And fixing yourself can be a lot harder, I think. I've seen instances with cats, dogs and horses where a strange person accomplished things the owner could not but in each case the strange person did not know of the problem. I did myself once with Oban where I forgot which dog he was. Convincing yourself to project a certain expectation is the first step but it's hard. That's what the professionals are able to do lots of times.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Most of the time the issues come from the owner. I know this all too well. Hemi and I do a lot of advanced training and we have other people video us so i can see where I mess up. A lot of good trainers can pick that up right away. I had some issue with Hemi in obedience and the trainer was like quit looking at him, be more confident stand straight with shoulders facing the way you want to go and so I did it and didn't look down to see what he was doing. He followed me perfectly. Same for agility. One thing Hemi was knocking bar we caught was I would slightly flick my hand like to push him over the jump, this would distract him he would look at my hand when he was jumping.

Dogs are excellent at picking up YOUR emotional state and body language. It's so important to prepare yourself ahead of time when you see a situation that might cause your dog to react.

As Jeff said, your body stance is what the dog picks up and you need to know how to relax and do your work as the dog can easily follow the commands instead of trying to focus on what he thinks you what by looking at you.
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

It's me, too.

TuMicks, I'm going to copy and paste this facebook post from Reisner Veterinary Behavior and Consulting Services. It's eerie how this appeared, and then your post in here.

Tuesday’s Pearl: Dogs may be more reactive when accompanied by the human they trust the most.

I once had a handsome but nervous little patient, Eric, who barked and lunged at the husband and two adult sons of the family. Only mom was welcome in this dog’s circle of trust (along with occasionally visiting daughters). But the dog’s behavior was also interesting when encountering strangers, either at home or on walks. If the female owner/parent walked him, he would lunge uncontrollably at others. However, when Mr. Husband walked him, he was “calm” and stood quietly even during extended conversations.

What was going on? It may seem that Eric was being protective of the wife during walks, but he was not. He was a fearful dog, and basically protecting himself. His fearfulness was expressed very clearly by his avoidance and escape behaviors when the tall men of the family walked around the home. He was also unnerved by thunderstorms and other stimuli, by the way, and “hated” the groomer and the vet.

Eric’s on-again-off-again barking behavior is common. His increased aggression or reactivity when with his trusted human (mom) can be explained by thinking of his behavior as “backed up” (also known as 'socially facilitated') by her. He was most reactive when he was with her; when walked by Mr. Husband, he was less expressive in general, and almost shut down -- although he seemed “calm”. This is the change we see when dogs are taken “to the back” at the vet hospital, or when a dog at home doesn’t bark at the door unless the owner/parent is home.

No matter who is walking the dog, or whether he’s indoors or out, fear-based aggression is managed by keeping distance from the scary person and by showering the dog with good things when he encounters husbands, sons and strangers. It’s all about realizing the dog isn’t simply protecting someone, but is just plain scared – and about making life as safe and predictable as a dog needs it to be.

And then there's this. It's something to ponder. It comes from my favorite facebook trainer, Monique Anstee, in British Columbia.

Domestic Leash Skills:Dogmanship and good handling are becoming a thing of the past; and are not something frequently taught, or even pondered by many. Many people have no clue how to use a leash, and use it more as a tow rope than an aide for communication.

Leash handling is is reward based and punishment based; but our rewards and punishments are not something that many think of. Or are even aware of.

Your reward for a job well done should be muscle release, and a consequence, tension. Or we can use it as negative reinforcement where tension is removed when they do as we suggest. When they do good, we need to have an absolute softness about us. Or if we plan on them doing good, we need to have that softness in advance. Tightness will trigger badness, be it reactivity, or pulling.

Yet many people who have not yet conquered their fears are rewarding 'good behaviour' yet their muscles are tense. No one wants to be held rigidly and controlled. Save the hot dog, and instead be respectful with your hands and muscles.

We cannot lie to a dog. They know that if they did good that we will relax. So if they tried, and you did not relax - in their hearts they will know they failed...
    When you walk your dog their leash should sit in your open, relaxed hand while both of your arms swing. If you can look 'normal' they will start to act normal too.

Ponder this! This is the most important and valuable piece of domestic training that I can share. As a trainer, you are only as good as your hands.

Monique Anstee

Victoria, BC

Senior Dog
    Yup. I’m actually wearing a shirt at the moment that says “Praise the dog, SLAP the handler”.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
    Yup. I’m actually wearing a shirt at the moment that says “Praise the dog, SLAP the handler”.
    Oh that is so funny. I'm going to suggest it as a retail item for the gals at K9 Games Reno.

I get my private lesson at 10 today and I will let everyone know what I learned. As far as my sedation of choice, it would be this with just a smidgen of tonic and lime:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (02-05-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos