Winston's Lingering Medical Issues

So, I haven't posted much on the board in a while, but I wanted to my fellow labbies for some advice regarding Winston, who will be 7 in May.

Hotspots

Starting last summer, Winston began developing hotspots for the first time in his life. A couple of months after the symptoms began, I found out (to my embarrassment) that he had fleas. I'd never consistently used flea and tick protection because he's rarely outside (except for walks) or around other animals. So, I rectify that issue with Capstar and a monthly tick and flea treatment that he's been on since September (initially NexGard from the vet, now Comfortis). I steam cleaned all of my carpets and furniture, and have been vacuuming to ensure the issue was under control.

All of these hotspots had been on his rear. They've healed some time ago, but he still has dry, flaky skin. Last week, a new one appeared on the left side of his face. Initially I was unsure what caused them. Then fleas seemed to be the obvious answer. Now I'm not so sure that's the singular explanation. Sure, it's a contributing factor last fall, but after four months on medication and not seeing anymore fleas in his coat or around the house for months? Possibly a food reaction? I had tried some different foods but now I'm back to TOTW, which he's always done well on (and yes, I'm aware lots of board members don't care for Diamond Foods). I've taken him to my vet 3-4 times. I took him to a different vet last weekend. No one can diagnose a cause, really. It's super frustrating. He's on antibiotics for his facial hotspot, has topical spray that I apply. Poor guy also had an ear infection so he's got medicine for that as well. Grrr!!!!!

Limping

Winston had a CCL repair on his left rear leg when he was 2 years old, and did very well with it. He was overweight at the time, but I got him from 100 pounds to 79 pounds, which is what he's weighed for the last 3 or so years. No he's starting to occasionally favor the other rear leg, especially after laying down a long time and after walks. The vet did a drawer test on Saturday - some movement, but not a complete tear. She said we'll have to do an X-ray on the follow-up visit to confirm a tear, and if it is, schedule to have another TTA. I absolutely dread the rehabilitation, and the dead-of-winter timing isn't great either. But I'll do whatever is necessary. Thankfully I have had a pet insurance policy for four years, and so I should be covered for most of that expense.

I suppose I could try to go the route of supplements and conservative management first. I had him on joint supplements for a year or two after his surgery, but it wasn't clear to me how much they were helping. I've read a lot on the subject and veterinarians seem to be divided on their efficacy. I restarted the supplements, but I'm not sure whether that's going to be enough. I probably need to get some more rimadyl.

House Pooping

Another recent phenomenon is that he will sometimes poop a very small amount in the bed. Not a lot, just a small pebble that I'll find in the mornings or upon my return home from work. It's always firm stool. He's not peeing in the house at all. The first time it happened I blamed myself for possibly forgetting to take him outside. Then I thought, maybe he's not completely eliminating. Our yard isn't fenced in so I always go out with him. He always poops like normal and does his little finishing move where he kicks up dirt.

But it's happened multiple times now. And given his knee issues, he's been having some trouble getting up from a lie-down position. So my theory is that he may be doing it inadvertently because he's straining to get up. If that's the cause, it's absolutely heart wrenching because it means he's probably in a fair amount of pain but isn't showing it. My buddy has always been stoic.

But could there be another cause? He didn't do that when he tore his first CCL. Could it be separation anxiety? Dietary issue? Some other cause?

Common Thread? Other Factors?

Otherwise, he seems to be healthy. His energy levels are mostly normal. Same goes for appetite. His heart and lungs sound good. His teeth look good. His weight is where I need it. I haven't felt any abnormal growths or tumors.

Any advice or insights you can give would be appreciated. I've dealt with the CCL issue before, so it's not really new ground. It's really the other two issues that are throwing me for a loop. Is there a way two (or even all 3) of these issues could be interrelated? Or am I just dealing with the coincidence of several independent problems?

I'm just trying to get him back to normal and am at a loss about what to do. He's generally been a very healthy dog since his last CCL surgery. I like my vets, but they've not been a great deal of help at getting at the root problem of the hotspots. In fairness, I forgot to mention the pooping issue because it happens sporadically and it slipped my mind.
    Hidden Content
    Dog dad to four sweet boys:

Bailey (2003-2018)
    Winston (2009-2018)
    Walter (born 1/1/18)
    Arthur (born 8/12/18)

Senior Dog
    I have no advice but wanted to say how exciting it was to see a post from you! I hope you get some real answers soon.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

Sir Winston (02-05-2016)

Hi there, great to hear from you! I remember some lively OT discussions! When we couldn't find an answer to skin issues after multiple visits to our local vets, we found a derm vet. I wonder if you have a vet school in Lexington? I would want to get some additional work done if you could.

We took Ruthie the collie to look at her knees when she was 9, even at that age it was recommended that she undergo the surgery. We decided to go the conservative route but only because there was so much scar tissue that it was unclear if surgery would help. She lived with us until she was 14 and got around well until the end. If she had been 7, I probably would have had it done, I can't even imagine the recovery so I hear you there but he's got a good number of years left so I'd probably take the risk.

I know there are some folks on the board who have shared some lack of bowel control with aging. But I seem to remember that there was some hind end weakness associated with it.

Just my two cents and I only play a vet on TV:-), but they don't sound related but that's only a very uneducated, unlicensed guess!

Again, a pleasure to 'see' you again!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doreen Davis For This Useful Post:

Sir Winston (02-05-2016)

Hey, it's great to see you even if not for the happiest of reasons.

No advice or insights. I can't even play a vet on TV but a couple thoughts on hot spots. First, is it possible Diamond changed their formulation and Winston's constitution disagrees with the new one? Second, is the steam cleaning pure steam, that is steam only? If a chemical is also used, perhaps Winston is sensitive to it?
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

Good to see you and Winston back. So sorry he is having problems.

One thought on the pooping issue, it may be a back issue. Melody had spinal arthritis that caused problems with her back issues. It was interfering/pressing on nerve/s and she would lose bowel control, only a small, what I called turdlette. She did not even know it was happening. Could this be happening to Winston? Could there also be some irritation to a nerve in his leg causing the limp? Tramadol helped her. Keep in mind she was 12 or so when this was happening but arthritis can happen at any age.

I would suggest a derm vet to get the skin/hot spots under control. Melody did have one but I know what caused it and hers healed relatively promptly and no recurrence. A flea allergy I suppose could cause hot spots.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I wanted to comment on the hot spots. During the time I had Sam on Fromm, he got two really nasty hot spots. The vet treated them with this really expensive shot called Convenia which was an amazing drug. Anyway, there is nothing apparent in the ingredients of Fromm that should have caused a problem but I took him off of it and he hasn't had one since. Could have been a coincidence but I'll stay away from Fromm now. I would try another food in case food is a contributory factor.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos