Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gross!

Gross!

Woke up this morning to a barfing dog (Linus). Always a lovely alarm clock sound! It was kinda dark and my eyes could not make out what it was. Turned on the light to see a black tube, perhaps three inches in diameter and five to six inches long, bigger than a toilet paper tube. What the??? Got a bag and picked it up, it was heavy. As I held it up, it sort-of stretched out. Couldn't wrap my head around what it might be. Then, took me a minute, I realized it was one of those fluffy socks -- the ones you can buy anywhere that people typically wear around the house with pjs.

I think it had been in his tummy for about a week (as I remember seeing the other one in the living room last week). Probably filling up his entire stomach! The thing had some serious weight as they can really absorb fluid. Yet, we had healthy and regular poops, no barf, a big appetite, energy, certainly no pain. Had a great training night on Monday, lovely hike over the weekend, a good lesson...

He always carries around my socks (and gloves and bras) when he can get a hold of them, but has never chewed one up, let alone swallowed it whole. So, this is a new thing and clearly, I need to be more careful. He still has the arm of a chew toy (no stuffing) in his belly. He was playing tug with Sam, got the arm off, and swallowed it like it was spaghetti! I've been waiting on that one, hoping it was in the barf this morning. Sigh...

Wow. That's pretty much all I can say!!! Hope he is feeling better this morning, though it sound like he wasn't really slowed down by the sock in his tummy!

It's really hard to prevent. We do our best. Even if you were 100%, an obsessive compulsive house cleaner, they would find some something outside (twigs, leaves, who knows) and swallow them. I had one dog that almost obstructed on DOG FOOD. Yep, I left the top of the dog food canister ajar, Lee Roy got in it and had about 5 minutes of paradise before I found him. His belly was huge... and it was like all peristalsis stopped. He threw up all the dog food, but then just kept throwing up and couldn't even keep water down. That was a trip to the emergency vet. 2 liters of IV saline, various drugs to get his gut going again... basically cost $100 for every minute he gorged himself.

I'm glad he barfed it up. Bless his heart.

Scary! Even having seniors, I have to be on the watch. It's not been so much clothes as it has been the delicacy of remotes and glasses. Archie is obsessed with paper, toilet paper being the goodie of choice. Guess he thinks he can go and wipe at the same time.

Glad it came out even though it was an early morning event. Hopefully, the toy arm will come up too.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Puppy
    Definitely not the ideal way to be woken up. Hope he feels better.

Senior Dog
    Ugh! I got a text from my 12 year old a month or two ago saying “Cookie just puked up something”. Of course she wanted nothing to do with cleaning it up, but DH got home first and determined it was a sock. No idea when she had gotten ahold of it, either. It was a good lesson to the kids on cleaning up after themselves though as it was one of theirs.

Glad Linus got his sock up safely. Hope there are no further complications.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Glad it came up. My pups have a habit of eating bits of towel, but it tends to get barfed up again.

We've got a sock eater, too, and have had the joy of sock barf. We've also had the heartbreak of sock obstruction, too, so we've pretty diligent. I'm glad Linus had no problems and that it came up safely!

I think the sound of a dog barfing should be a choice of sounds for an alarm, say, on your phone. Nothing gets me vertical faster than the sound of one of my dogs horking something up!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Glad the sock came out the front end rather than trying to go thru the intestines and getting caught, then surgery!!!!
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

I still cannot fathom swallowing that sock whole! I have lovingly been calling him Anaconda.

And yes, he is obsessed with them. I used to wear them to bed and then take them off at night. He figured that out and started digging in my bed for them. After this incident, I am putting them in my closet if I plan on wearing them again. I didn't mind him carrying them around, and find it strange that at 2 1/2 years old he's deciding to swallow them.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos