Puppy

Lab CCL Question

Would like your opinion, my lab had CCL surgery in November and all went well. My retired wife spent the next eight weeks watching over her to be sure she did not do anything to hurt the leg. The dog was crated most of the time, as instructed. At her eight week visit, the doctor gave her the green light to return to normal activities. With less than a month remaining in the season, I gave her the rest of the year off and did not take her hunting. My question: has anyone been through this situation and how did your dog do after returning to hunting. Mudd will be 10 years old in April so she is not a pup any more. I would rather let her be a house dog her remaining years than return her to service and cause the repaired leg to be re-injured. Looking for someone who may have been through this situation, thanks in advance for any information.

Don

My boy, who passed in 2014 at the age of 13. He had both knees done when he was 4. He got all his obedience titles after that. He was fine. We had TPLOs done on both.

Puppy
    Thanks for the reply and good news. Sorry it took so long but been putting the duck gear away. We had the TPLO also. Mudd appears to be doing great and shows no problems. I plan to hunt her some near season but only sparingly. Sorry your dog passed, they become family.

Don

Most people that I know of with this type of issue typically have had to have the opposite knee done, but the one that had been done usually stays solid.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Dallas dawg (02-28-2016)

Senior Dog
    Yup, what Labradorks said. Almost one year to the day, the other one went.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos