Anyone Familiar With Encopresis

Encopresis was diagnosed in younger GD, Maggie, today. Soiling (Encopresis) She is the GD who, at a much younger age, had problems going.

As odd as it sounds, DD is happy to finally find out what is going on and a plan of resolution set in place. She was extremely happy with the pediatric GI doctor.

For now, Maggie will get Metamucil twice a day and 2 planned potty sits, 5 minutes each. If she goes, OK. If she doesn't, that's OK too. A lot of psychological problems can accompany this. Don't know why it happens but her brain is literally not letting her know when she has to go. The bowel gets stretched out and holds more, letting only a little bit through at a time. As she improves so will the signals to the brain.

There's no quick fix but it can, over time, be resolved.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or know of someone who has dealt with encopresis in a child.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I've had kids over the years at school with encopresis. They often had a scheduled time to come the the health suite to use the bathroom and, like you said, if they go, fine, if they don't, fine- Thanks for remembering to come in. They come to the nurse's office rather than use the bathrooms in the hallways or attached to classrooms, just for a little more privacy. Metamucil or Miralax are often used.

Not sure what grade she's in but the school nurse should be a good resource and help out if she needs to do one of her bathroom breaks at school, which many kids do. Plus, having extra underwear at school and supplies to help her clean up might be kept in the nurse's office so she doesn't feel like her classmates are watching her or aware of what's going on. You don't want that to become an issue to deal with as well. It's unlikely that Maggie is the first or only child the nurse will have encountered with this issue.

Some teachers ask kids to wait until recess/snack time/after this lesson/ lunchtime etc to use the bathroom, especially once they're older than kindergarten or first grade. Her bathroom privileges should be liberal so that if she feels like she needs to go, she can go right then, not be asked to wait. I've never had a teacher who wouldn't go along with that. They'd much prefer the student go when they need to rather than clean up after the fact. The school nurse can speak with the teachers to figure out the best way to handle bathroom breaks and the storage of extra clothes. If she takes a bathroom break in the health suite, maybe her Mom could bring in a case of small water bottles, like the 8 ounce size, and after she goes, she could drink a bottle of water before returning to class.

Those are just a few ideas that might make things a little easier for her at school. Hope things work themselves out.

Thank you for all the good info.

Maggie goes to a private school; she's so smart, well ahead in learning. She's kindergarten age and can read the newspaper. She does carry extra underwear and wipes. However, the teachers are not allowed to help her. They will let her go if she asks. If she has an accident, Mom or Dad have to go to the school to help her. Two accidents, she is sent home. DD has the feeling they do not want to deal with it at all which does not help Maggie. I like the idea of giving her water, great suggestion.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Sounds like the school is NOT helping Maggie. I would request a meeting with the principal to explain Maggie's situation.

Sending MOJO to dear little Maggie and DD, oh and you too Fran...
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

There have been discussions with the principal, teacher and helpers. I know it puts a lot of pressure on them, but this is a problem that she needs help and support to conquer. It's not like this is a forever thing.

As a side note, most of you know that DD is divorced. The kids spend time with her and the ex. When Maggie is with her, no or extremely few problems. She has not had an accident so far all this week. When she is with the ex, she seems to have an accident almost every day. Poor kid does not even want to be at the ex's, which happens to be his mother's house. His mother is a nurse and you'd think she would be helpful but no, she has no tolerance for the situation at all.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos