Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving....for the dog?!

Things are too early on for me to talk about it among my general social media, but it looks like we'll be moving this year. We bought out house in the Bay Area at the end of 2009 right around the bottom of the last slump, and we'e been watching property values climb like crazy. Since both my husband and I have remote-status jobs (work from home in tech positions) there is nothing anchoring us to the Bay area anymore. We have no family here, our jobs can move with us, and although we have lots of friends here, we also have friends in any place we'd consider moving. I've loved my time in California but we are sick of the crowds and the long weekend drives to get to the mountains. I'm looking to cash out on our property and move somewhere where we can get something nicer for about 1/2 of what we'd sell our place for.

We have a couple of places in mind, but our number one spot is super super dog friendly. I keep catching myself saying things to the dog like "wait until we move! You'll be able to hike with us off leash all the time!" and "wait until we move, you'll be able to play in the snow!" Then my husband asks if we're moving for us or the dog.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

barry581 (02-11-2016), Charlotte K. (02-11-2016), doubledip1 (02-11-2016), Jollymolly (02-11-2016), Scoutpout (02-14-2016)

Woooooo! Lots of state parks and the Adirondacks in my neck of the woods, but taxes are the worst.

With a California house you can move anywhere! Good luck
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

The dog, of course! LOL

Sounds like you're in a great position to make the move. I have friends who had a home in San Diego and moved to GA. What they sold the CA house for more than paid for the house in GA.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

That's so exciting! What places are on your short list?

I'm anxiously waiting for my boyfriend to finish grad school to move out of the Bay Area. I love it, but am ready for a new adventure, lower rent prices, and better access to the outdoors.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

Real Retriever
    Sounds exciting, keep us posted!

Portland Oregon? Probably one of the most dog friendly places.

However, you would be stunned what you can get in Michigan for a California House. Just saying Thor wold probably love being a Dog Scout.

Quote Originally Posted by zd262 View Post
    That's so exciting! What places are on your short list?

I'm anxiously waiting for my boyfriend to finish grad school to move out of the Bay Area. I love it, but am ready for a new adventure, lower rent prices, and better access to the outdoors.
    Ha! We came to CA from MI for my husband to do his PhD at stanford. We both fell in love with the outdoors and loved it here. I had a great job, and he had a great offer when he graduated. We never even considered leaving! Of course that was back in 2004, things were expensive and crowded but nothing like now. It's been a great 16 years but we're ready to move on. Our first choice is Bend, Oregon - it's very similar to my hometown in MI but with mountains. Our holiday visit up there had some ulterior motives. Heading back up in April to interview agents and start looking. We also like Fort Collins, CO and Jackson WY (although that might be as expensive as here).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post

However, you would be stunned what you can get in Michigan for a California House. Just saying Thor wold probably love being a Dog Scout.
    You sound like my mom. She wants us to come back to Traverse City. No mountains there, though. That's a deal breaker for us!
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by MightyThor View Post
    Ha! We came to CA from MI for my husband to do his PhD at stanford. We both fell in love with the outdoors and loved it here. I had a great job, and he had a great offer when he graduated. We never even considered leaving! Of course that was back in 2004, things were expensive and crowded but nothing like now. It's been a great 16 years but we're ready to move on. Our first choice is Bend, Oregon - it's very similar to my hometown in MI but with mountains. Our holiday visit up there had some ulterior motives. Heading back up in April to interview agents and start looking. We also like Fort Collins, CO and Jackson WY (although that might be as expensive as here).
    That's too funny! Fort Collins is #1 on my list! Bend, Oregon would be but my boyfriend's field isn't available there. I'm wondering how Bend is going to change with the new oregon state campus opening up/expanding. I know when I was up there a few months ago the people I was visiting were concerned.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

Oh great! Another Californian moving to Oregon! Ha! Just kidding. I love it. Some of my better friends in PDX are originally from CA as well as most of my neighbors.

Bend is great! It's a little too boonies for me to live though at this point in my life -- not a lot of variety -- so I just like to visit. I'm also really into the obedience stuff and there's not market or opportunity for it there. I also love the coast, which is super dog friendly and you often have the place to yourself if you choose a quiet beach during off-season. Besides being an hour from the coast, Portland is also just 45 minutes from the mountain. I went snowshoeing with the dogs on my birthday on a random Monday last month and we were the only three souls in the entire place.

I know what you mean though. I bought my house for the dogs.

Senior Dog
    We joke that our home is "The House of Kimber." When we had narrowed our hunt to two neighborhoods, one was ruled out because it was too settled, too antiseptic. "Kimber likes to sniff after the wildlife," DH explained. When we chose our house design, we actually tweaked it a bit for Kimber: we wanted her to be able to see out the windows, so could they be lowered? They could.

If your dog is an important part of your family life, it makes sense to include his needs in your selection. Or, I'm just as crazy as you.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (02-11-2016), Scoutpout (02-14-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos