Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Loose Stool on Rice and Boiled Chicken?

Poor Oban, he was vomitting and had stool so liquid and pressurized that, as the OH puts it, he could shoot it through the eye of a needle. So, stopped suspect medications, gave white rice cooked with extra lean ground chicken. But stool has not returned to normal, it's better, pudding, but not his usual perfect #2s. Is that normal on rice and chicken? That stools don't solid up? I've never fed it for so long to any other dog. Four days now, with small bits of regular food added back in. This morning was his first full meal of regular food in three days and we haven't had a walk yet to see how that will go.

He also still has flatulence, not as much, but still smelling the distinctive Atopica odour. No Atopica or Ketoconazole given since Wednesday. And he seems a bit bloated and tight in his belly as the gas builds up. At least his appetite is back.

I called the Vet wondering if there is some weird co-incidence going on and he's picked up some Giardia? Will collect a stool sample this morning.

The bold part is my main question, just wanted to give some background too. Any insights appreciated.

Senior Dog
    I've had to use either cottage cheese or ground beef instead of chicken with some dogs....the chicken went right through despite the rice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Snowshoe (06-09-2014)

Hmm. I dont know, I have never fed the boiled chicken/rice but here is what I would do:

1. Stool sample to the vet
    2. A digestive enzyme/probiotic
    3. Bone broth. I just made this because the recipe turned up in my FB from Dog's Naturally. All I did was put some chicken backs and leg quarters in the crock pot, covered with water and added a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and cooked on low for 24 hours. I used a strainer to make sure there were no bones in the broth and put some broth in a container in the fridge and the rest in the freezer in ice cube trays. The boys love it! I also gave them the chicken meat because, why not? Anyway, I made it just to try it but it is supposedly meant to help heal leaky gut.
    Charlie and Burton

5. The Following User Says Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

Snowshoe (06-09-2014)

I'd try fasting him for 24 hours.

Did you de-worm recently?
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Snowshoe (06-09-2014)

Bone broth, hmmm, that would be good for all of us. The OH and I hab terribbble colbs. I make broth all the time but of course right now I'm out of it.

Yes, fasted before starting the rice/chicken. Oban got Sentinel (heartworm) June 2 so that should have wormed him. That was Monday and I watched for ill effects from it but there weren't any, I think.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (06-09-2014)

I hope Oban is back to normal for you soon! It sounds like he is already starting to show signs of being better. Good luck!
    Charlie and Burton

I hope Oban is feeling better soon. Poor guy - I have never been able to feed chicken and rice with my dogs. It's always been boiled hamburger and rice. I hope you get a handle on it.

Nancy

Much improved this morning post full regular breakfast. Got a sample anyway though, might as well check it. Thanks folks.

Yay

Best Friend Retriever Snowco Labradors's Avatar
    I would get Tylan powder from the vet. As long as you have ruled out all parasites (giardia, coccidia, etc). Tylan works great. Often in one or two doses.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos