Ripped front leg pad

Don't know the proper name, but yesterday during one of dexters 90 mph runs after his stick, he must have caught it on some brush. He didn't even flinch, we only noticed it when we saw blood down his leg. He pretty much shaved the whole thing off.

He he doesn't seem bothered at all by it, it could be the pain med/anti inflammatory he's takin with his doxy to treat his lymes.

Anywhow, will that regenerate ? Ay experience with healing? Just watch to make sure it doesn't look infected?

Can you post a picture, I am not sure I completely understand what you mean.

Charlie has opened up both his paw pads and the extra pad up on the back his 'forearm' running around before, and yes it does heal. My vet told me, though, that those areas will always be compromised and more susceptible to tearing again now that they've been worn down.

If he actually ripped the entire thing off I would be at the vet.
    Charlie and Burton

If it doesn't start to stink, don't worry. Keep it clean.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

He let me get a better look today. It's not gone but he definitely tore off the top layer. It's sore looking but already looks like it's starting to scab over.

Best Friend Retriever LucyTudeOn4Feet's Avatar
    Yes, it should heal. Just try to keep it clean. I have had to cut off a flap from Lucy's, when it was hanging off. It dries up, and heals underneath. It can be very tender fresh meat under, so if it is, I pad it with toddler socks for outside trips.

My one Lab who loved to play ChuckIt did it. Just give it time to heal. Watch for infection.

The Dynamic Gang

Puppy
    Hershey has done this. I just keeps it clean and it heals fine. Kind of like how a blister would heal. I have purchased some paw wax at the pet store and put that on before to help protect it while it heals. I also try keep her off of pavement or other rough surfaces until it feels better.

Puppy
    Jake skinned his front carpal pads (the ones a bit up on the leg) playing Chuck-It on snow/ice. I just kept it rinsed clean and occasionally put spray bandage on it (if it looked fairly raw); it healed up just fine.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos