Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

A wrench in the plan - what to do?

Early on, when we decided we wanted 2 dogs, I had a difficult time deciding between another lab, or a greater swiss mountain dog. So, just to get to know some breeders, & learn more about swissies, I submitted a puppy application to a breeder.

Since then, I've met and gotten to know an amazing lab breeder, and I've been hoping for a puppy from her next spring.

Last night, got an email from swissy breeder because on my application I had indicated that I would consider an adult. Well, she has 8 swissies in the house and is looking for a home for her retired stud dog, who is 7. She asked if I'd like to bring Archie and go meet him.

Pros: dog will be neutered, free, well trained, loves other dogs and would be a great big buddy for Archie without the work of bringing a puppy home.

Cons: it's a bit earlier than we planned, and it will mean putting my lab puppy plans on hold until the swissy was no longer with us, as we just don't have the room for 3 dogs.

What do I do?????? Swissies are a dream breed for me, and this is an opportunity to own a trained, friendly, really well-bred one. I'm so torn
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Archie For This Useful Post:

SnapV (06-09-2014)

Take the Swissie and make your dream come true! There will always be a puppy when you are ready for another.
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Some questions for you:

You indicated on the app you were open to an adult. What made you check this box? Are those still your priorities?

How long do swiss mountain dogs typically live?

PS I would reframe this as "unexpected opportunity" rather than "wrench in the plan"
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

I think I checked being open to an adult because Archie is wild about other dogs, so living with another adult might be safer/saner. But, I also wanted a puppy that would look up to Archie and I can handle the extra work. I was just being open-minded, I guess.

Lifespan - well, they're a giant breed, so 10-12 would be a good long life.
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

Get both :*)

Think about it. Adult, already neutered and trained dream dog number one.

Then you have to wait until spring anyway. Swissie boy will be acclimated to the house, Archie will be older and the two will be buds, you'll be ready for a puppy by then.

It will only cost you a new house so that all of you can fit :*)

I hate to say this ( a bit morbid ) but as I understand it, greater swiss mountain dogs do not have a super long life expectancy...you might only have him with you for another 5ish years. (I love them too, and researched them before deciding on a second lab)

Good luck in whatever you decide, it's certainly not easy!
    Charlie and Burton

Think you can figure out my reply. Having homed retired dogs for years now, they are fabulous. All of ours have been well behaved, impeccable leash manners, fairly well socialized and easy to house train if not already done. You do want to question about any health issues, past or present. You also want to inquire about the dog's disposition around other dogs, small children, cats, etc. Although you may not have children or cats in your house, the more you know, the more you can help the dog succeed in the transition. Even with the good manners, some needed tweaking and I found that a basic obedience class was perfect for that and for bonding.

Only you can answer whether you want this dog or wait for a puppy. I'm just putting in a plug for the 7 year old. But watch out, once you get into homing these dogs, you might never turn back.

Get the Swissie! No doubt about that, first of all the are an awesome breed And second, there's no doubt in my mind that dog #2 will eventually be an adult for me. I loved puppy Koopa but I love becoming adult and calmer Koopa even more :P Plus you get to help an older guy and give him a great retirement home!
    SnapV and the One and Only Koopa! (approximate dob: 25/01/2013, gotcha: 30/03/2013)

Hidden Content

See my Etsy store for hand-knit hats and cowls!
    Hidden Content

That's a tough one. Puppies are so cute but an older dog can usually just join in on the days events without thinking twice. Honestly I'd have to meet the Swissy, eat Chinese food before and see what its fortune cookie says and just leave it up to fate.

I say go and meet the swissy and then decide. We got Kaity as a 2nd dog because we just did not have the desire to deal with a puppy at the time, and it was the best decision that we ever made. She and Dio hit it off right away and have been the best of friends ever since.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Big Brother and Sister to:
    Leila Claire Hidden Content

Go meet the swissy! Not too many of those breeders around- my sis wants a Bernese MTN Dog - sounds like a great opportunity. You never know, your house might end up being big enough for 3 dogs!
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos