Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mum, Are You Trying to Kill Me?

Poor Oban. I boost him into the back of the jeep but today I somehow stood on the leash. There he was with his front feet up on the bumper like a good boy but when I boosted his back end up and into the jeep, his neck was effectively attached to the ground. The leash was pulling down on the back of his neck, not his throat. When I gave up and let him down I saw my mistake and I also saw a pretty perplexed and worried look on his face. Like, "What are you DOING?"

Needless to say he would not try the boost again but he did jump in. Oban is not the sensitive type, he'll probably be ok next time but I felt pretty bad and stupid. I always, always, always bunch the leash up in one hand. Well obviously not always.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Ah Oban. Remember, to err is human, to forgive, canine.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (02-18-2016), Annette47 (02-19-2016), barry581 (02-18-2016), Maxx&Emma (02-19-2016), MikeLynn (02-18-2016), Scoutpout (02-22-2016)

oops! poor dude, but a normal human error! hope he bounces back and lets you help him in the future

Happens to the best of us. Glad he is Ok

When I walk Sophie in the evening DW normally comes along and I'll do some long recalls in the park in our development. I keep Sophie on a long lead as her recall is still less good. DW has a habit of stepping on the lead as I call Sophie, stopping her with a good jerk about 8-10 feet out. Once DW is off the lead, Sophie comes charging to me, I just shake my head.

It happens. I'm sure he'll be over it by the next car ride. While I can lift my boys into my truck, I'm happy they are using their folding steps instead. Easy for them, and way easier on me -- plus, boosting a wet swamp thing into the truck after a day of field training is messy. I don't let my dogs just jump up into the truck -- I've seen some freak accidents, and my trainer had a client whose dog jumped up and hit his leg just slightly it seemed initially. It turned out he broke his leg so badly it ended his hunting career.

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    When I walk Sophie in the evening DW normally comes along and I'll do some long recalls in the park in our development. I keep Sophie on a long lead as her recall is still less good. DW has a habit of stepping on the lead as I call Sophie, stopping her with a good jerk about 8-10 feet out. Once DW is off the lead, Sophie comes charging to me, I just shake my head.
    Tell your DW about the lady who borrowed my long line at field training one day. She did not arrange the line first and then she stood in it and when she sent her dog out the line wrapped around her bare ankle and the dog kept going. That line had been in mud, swamp water, horse poop and who knows what all, she got a bad rope burn all around her ankle, it got badly infected and the swelling reached her knee.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dxboon View Post
    It happens. I'm sure he'll be over it by the next car ride. While I can lift my boys into my truck, I'm happy they are using their folding steps instead. Easy for them, and way easier on me -- plus, boosting a wet swamp thing into the truck after a day of field training is messy. I don't let my dogs just jump up into the truck -- I've seen some freak accidents, and my trainer had a client whose dog jumped up and hit his leg just slightly it seemed initially. It turned out he broke his leg so badly it ended his hunting career.
    I've seen my own dogs hit, without the broken leg. Exactly why I boost in. Yeah, the wet swamp thing is lovely but I'm always in dog walking clothes if he's going to be in dirty water. But dressed up in nursing home visiting clothes and then a walk back to the car in a wet parking lot isn't fun or good for appearances on the next place I visit.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Tell your DW about the lady who borrowed my long line at field training one day. She did not arrange the line first and then she stood in it and when she sent her dog out the line wrapped around her bare ankle and the dog kept going. That line had been in mud, swamp water, horse poop and who knows what all, she got a bad rope burn all around her ankle, it got badly infected and the swelling reached her knee.
    OMG!! I cringed reading that, sounds painful! At first I was thinking "oh good only rope burn" but swelling to the knee!! eek!

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by dxboon View Post
    I don't let my dogs just jump up into the truck -- I've seen some freak accidents
    Yeah, I know of someone (he was dating a friend) who’s Lab attempted to jump up into the back of the vehicle (don’t know what kind), slipped and fell backwards, ended up with a spinal injury from landing on his butt/tail and had to be put to sleep

One reason I’m glad I have smaller girls now - they are much easier to help in and out of vehicles as needed than my 85 lb boy was.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos