Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mud season

Mud season

I picked up Faye when her shift ended because we wanted to go to the next town over to visit a friend and get some groceries.

The day started out just below freezing and about an inch of icy snow lay on the ground. A warm front moved through early this morning and by mid-afternoon the temperature had risen to about 5C, or 42F. The snow was gone. Before leaving to pick Faye up I let the dogs out into the backyard for a pee break, and noted Stella rolling around on her back. I thought oh, that's nice, she's feeling good and enjoying herself. I eventually called everyone in.

Stella was filthy, mud sliming her shoulders and hips. I wiped her down, transferring most of the mud to the towel. Another reason we cover the couch with throws and old blankets.

Mud season is here, at least for a few days. And that's fine, what old towels are for. I would rather have dogs and mud than no dogs and no mud.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

"I would rather have dogs and mud than no dogs and no mud." Exactly!

Same here except temp stayed in the upper 30s last night and mid 50s today. Archie and I were out for quite a while and the grass was so squishy, muddy in some spots. I had to wipe him down outside on the deck rather than try to keep him still inside.

Sure enjoyed the change but the wind was wicked. Next door neighbor lost his flag pole and a couple of trees down in the area. Sure glad our big maple is gone, this is exactly the type of wind that would have brought it down on the house. New tree is holding steady.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

3. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (02-19-2016)

I find it to be miserable when you go from snow/frozen ground to rain and above freezing temps when the ground turn into a quagmire. Let's just say I keep a few towels by the entry doors all winter!!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (02-19-2016)

Chase loves to roll around on his back but fortunately not in mud. Lark, however, has been dashing around through the mud and then jumping onto Chase's back in play, so he gets muddy anyway. My kitchen floor is a mess. I no sooner run a wet mop over it than the mud pit returns outside. I do agree with the sentiment about preferring dogs and mud to no dogs and no mud!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (02-19-2016)

Fran, it was windy here. What we sometimes call a 'Winnie the Pooh day.'

Barry, yup. We have a basket of towels stationed by the door.

smartrock, we find mud unavoidable. Our backyard has turf in spots, mostly because it's largely shaded.

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

Wow, you people are actually seeing your grass!! We had 50cm of snow on Tuesday and another 10cm expected tonight. Even with the rain that's in the forecast for tomorrow, I don't think we will be seeing our grass for a while.
    Hidden Content

Woodecoy's Madawaska Charlie.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandra For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (02-20-2016)

Mud is not too bad if you can hose it off, but, was your outside water turned off? Did the towels alone work?

We saw Ottawa's snow on the news. Even though you set records Ottawa is a wintery place and you have the equipment to deal with it, it'll just take a bit longer than usual. We hardly got any snow in that whallop but we have enough on the ground I don't think this mild spell will result in too much mud.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (02-20-2016)

Ugh... mud. We have reasonable turf in the BY. But c'mon. Gotta take the dogs out to run some. Usually they aren't rolling in it. But we have this incredible clay/glue type of soil here and when it's wet, you are going to pick up enough on your boots and shoes that it's hard to lift your feet off the ground. The dogs manage fine. But boy, howdy... they are going to track in a bunch.

I went to Walmart and bought canvas painter's drapes/drop-cloths, big ones and covered any upholstered furniture (and beds) that I care about. If the dogs bring some home stuck on their fur... I throw them into the "party tub" in my room. Well, first I throw the tennis ball into the tub and hope they follow it.

But there is no real help for it. This time of year with the freezing and thawing, it's just going to be mud season.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (02-20-2016)

"Mud season is here, at least for a few days. And that's fine, what old towels are for. I would rather have dogs and mud than no dogs and no mud."
    As Fran said , EXACTLY. That's why we have these wonderful creatures that make us laugh, cry and be in bewilderment at times. Their enjoyment of life is so much more important than mud that can be cleaned off. Some day we will wish we had muddy foot prints and smudged doors because there will be no dog----and that will be a day of BAD.
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackboy98 For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (02-20-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Mud is not too bad if you can hose it off, but, was your outside water turned off? Did the towels alone work?

We saw Ottawa's snow on the news. Even though you set records Ottawa is a wintery place and you have the equipment to deal with it, it'll just take a bit longer than usual. We hardly got any snow in that whallop but we have enough on the ground I don't think this mild spell will result in too much mud.
    Yep, the water is turned off and the towel worked well enough for me.

ETA: Maybe Stella will roll again today. If she does I'll take photos.
    -------------
    It will be breezy and get up to around 12C (55F)today, which will help dry the yard. Almost shorts and t-shirt weather.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos