Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Dog

Dealing with anxiety about wind

Well, at the ripe old age of 10.5 years and never having shown anxiety about anything, Kimber seems to have developed a thing about wind. We had a high wind advisory yesterday through today and last night, she would not settle down. She started in bed with DH and me but kept getting up and walking around on the bed. I put her in her crate, and she started that whiney panting. I let her out, and she paced the room. I finally took her into the livingroom, curled up on the couch with her, and watched documentaries. The TV sound seemed to give her enough white noise to fall asleep. We napped, woke up, and noticed the wind was still roaring, napped, woke up. It was pretty similar to last month's event: Karma!

She's just spooked by the howling of the wind. She keeps staring down the hallway trying to figure out where the noise is coming from, and sometimes she wants to go outside and check out the noise from there.

She's been such an easygoing dog I've never had to deal with such behavior before. I know I'm not supposed to baby her- and I know I can't give up my sleep to watch Netflix with her. DH said I should put her in the crate and if I can't block out the panting, move to the guest room. Is that cruel?
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Emma had these issues with thunderstorms until I got her a thunder shirt. As long as she has it on she is just fine!

Honestly, I would not put a dog in a crate when they are so freaked out for fear they could get hurt if they really panic.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (02-25-2016)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    Emma had these issues with thunderstorms until I got her a thunder shirt. As long as she has it on she is just fine!

Honestly, I would not put a dog in a crate when they are so freaked out for fear they could get hurt if they really panic.
    She stays still and just pants really, really loudly.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Quote Originally Posted by kimbersmom View Post
    She stays still and just pants really, really loudly.
    Well, if you feel comfortable crating her maybe turning a fan on for white noise would help her. A fan did not help Emma, the thunder was louder. I also think there is something in the atmosphere that she is sensitive to with storms as she gets anxious before a storm even hits. She is better than the weather forecast on the news, lol!

I do hope you find something that helps, I know how hard it is to see them so upset.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I can't help, but, I don't blame her. Wind is the one weather element that can frighten me the most. I would bet a dog, even one with hearing loss, hears a lot more of the high pitches wind can make around a building corner, or the deep roar through trees. Plus the barometric pressure often changes with the weather that brings wind.

Can you put ear plugs in a dog's ears? Would they go in too far? Fall out? Try Rescue Remedy? A DAP? A light sedative from the Vet to be used once in a blue moon?
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Is it quieter in your basement? In a closet?

My first thought after that is a Thunder Shirt, too (except that I can't use TSs with my two...they make them really nervous...go figure).

Awww poor girl. My Montana has the same issue with noise. It started when he was about 10 also. It has gotten much better lately though-and hte only difference is he is on medicines now for his cancer. Prednisone, anti nausea stuff...that's the only difference and that makes no sense at all.
    Dakota however has always been anxious about storms. I have tried ignoring her because any attention I gave her seemed to make it worse. Last night I turned the tv up and held onto her and that seemed to help a bit so I think with her its the static in the air when there's lightning. But hen the thunder-she afraid of that..poor dogs.

What about a windstorm fort like Ram's Fireworks fort? You could lean the cushions around her crate like a padded cell to help muffle the noise.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

Thundershirt vote here, was a blessing for our yellow, Zoe as she grew older. We also would give her a melatonin and felt that seemed to help.

Cookie is also afraid of strong winds (only inside the house). He goes to the bathroom where there are no windows and it's less noisy. He is much more comfortable there.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos