Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How Warm Do You Keep Your House - Dog Related

I see so many pictures here of dogs curled up and even under blankets. It got me to wondering, how warm do you keep your home during the day and at night.

My two seem to be stretched out all the time on their ortho beds. I would guess that a tight curl would not be comfortable for Mardi but even Archie is stretched out, day and night.

Keep our house at 72 during the day, 66 at night.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

69 and 62. Don't ask me why I use Celsius for outside and Fahrenheit for inside. I don't know why.

ETA: This is in winter, for heat. IN summer we try to not use the AC as much as possible. I will set it for 76.
    Last edited by Snowshoe; 02-27-2016 at 07:17 AM.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

68 degrees night and day, but our kitchen seems to stay a few degrees cooler if it's really cold outside. Since Chase will lie in a pile of snow during a blizzard and seem perfectly happy, we could probably not heat our home at all, at least for Chase. Of course, this is just during the winter, not summer. I think our summer A/C is set at about 78, poor Chasey.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Since I live in SF I never use AC or Heat. Sometimes my apartment is probably in the 50s, and sometimes it is way up in the 80s, but usually its probably in the high 60s/low 70s.

I think a lot of people like to put blankets on their dogs And also a lot of dogs just like soft cuddly things, whether or not they're cold.

One of my coworkers recently told me she's always worried her dog is cold and puts blankets on her. I said, you know we live in california, right? There's no way it's ever cold enough indoors here for your thick coated dog to require a blanket.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

The first year I lived in my house and I was getting to know the heater, it was too warm! Sam would BEG to go outside then lay in the cold, wet grass. My house is small and very well insulated!

What has been working for us is 60-62 degrees at night and when I am not home. When I am home I typically turn it up to about 68 and wear layers. During the odd month we get a freeze or snow, I might keep things warmer, but this is rare for us.

In the summer, I turn off my gas fireplace (turn off the pilot light, which warms up the place) and shut the curtains during the day. At night I will open a few windows and use one of those air exchange units in my bedroom. It keeps the house really comfy and uses very little energy.

Senior Dog
    Kimber hates when I turn on the gas fireplace! She'd much rather be in the snow drifts with Chase, up thread.

I hate being cold, so when I'm home it's set to 70 until bedtime, when it goes to 62. DH will leave it at about 65 until an hour before I get home. In summer, it's 74 during the day, 68 at night.

through it all, Kimber dreams of snow drifts.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Senior Dog
    68 day, 58 night. Cookie likes to cuddle under blankets at night but the other two rarely do.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

68° during the day and 60° at night with my bedroom window cracked all Winter. Maxx hates heat and is always completely stretched out, Emma likes a blanket sometimes at night. During the Summer the a/c is set at 72° and Maxx lays on the floor vents, sucking up the cold air! Maxx would prefer cold temps and snow at all times!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Looks like you all run your house cooler than we do. I have really been feeling the cold lately since losing so much weight; lost about 15-18 pounds. I could gain 10 back and be where I want to be.

During the summer we run the AC more to keep the humidity down, 76 or so during the day, about 72 at night.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by zd262 View Post
    Since I live in SF I never use AC or Heat. Sometimes my apartment is probably in the 50s, and sometimes it is way up in the 80s, but usually its probably in the high 60s/low 70s.

I think a lot of people like to put blankets on their dogs And also a lot of dogs just like soft cuddly things, whether or not they're cold.

One of my coworkers recently told me she's always worried her dog is cold and puts blankets on her. I said, you know we live in california, right? There's no way it's ever cold enough indoors here for your thick coated dog to require a blanket.
    +1 Air conditioning in many homes is not the norm here in Oregon. You get what mother nature delivers you in the summertime. Fortunately, humidity is not an issue in the Northwest! You might need air conditioning twice during the summertime. During the winter time, put on an extra layer and manup already...

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos